ZX Aura electrical prob - Help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

slats

ZX Aura electrical prob - Help!

Post by slats »

after not driving my 93 zx aura td for about a month, i reconnected the battery(see below) turned the ignition key and the coil light didnt come on. I know the battery is fully charged as i checked that and the central locking works and other igntion lights come on.
all i hear when i turn the key is some sort of interference sound almost coming from within the dash, which can be amplified if i turn the stereo on. also with the ignition on i cant turn the lights on either.
I am a complete car novice, and a skint one at that so need at all cost to avoid getting a tow/hefty garage fees..any ideas...will it be something as simple as a fuse...if so how will i know which one has gone? please help..
(Re the battery - the alarm was going off randomly so i literally cut the cables and removed it. since then the battery will drain if i leave it conneceted for more than a night, hence being disconnected for a month)
any ideas very greatfully recieved...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That's a tough one ...
Being a novice with cars and then cutting wires to stop an alarm is a sure way getting yourself in trouble [:I] ...
Your best option would be to find a friendly nearby Citroen owner - or a friendly garage that will not charge more than actual labour sorting out the problems. Pretty sure it aint that complex ...
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Slats,
Despite your assurance that the battery is fully charged, I have my doubts - could be that the battery terminals aren't making a good connection or that the battery isn't as well charged as you thought . . . running a lead-acid battery into the ground (i.e. allowing it to discharge completely, so there is no charge left), will kill it dead. And no amount of charging will get it back to a usable condition.
Your symptoms definitely sound like a weak battery - will it turn the engine over when you turn the key?
//NiSk