Rear Spoilers for BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

Rear Spoilers for BX

Post by G4EIY »

Hi all,
Does any one know if any performance details have been published for the 2 types of rear spoilers for the BX.
Cheers
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have the goalpost type one and it performs very well for standing beer cans on when camping;) as for downforce?????
Stewart
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The spoiler on the BX, was designed for one of two reasons, either to increase drag (and fuel consumption) or to make your car look like a boy racer-mobile. A lot the of spoilers fitted to cars don't produce appreciable amounts of downforce, they're there for the look. Now, if they could reduce turbulance and reduce drag they'd be useful...
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

very helpful, but neither of which answered the mans question now did it....
I believe Cituning might do BX stuff. Theres a bloke on the http://www.performancegti.com/forum/ forum with a nice BX with a full kit, cant remember his name but he has a pic in his avatar, he might be your best bet topoint you int he right direction.[:)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Erm....try asking the BX16v fraternity. If anyone knows it'll be them, though I think kowalski has covered the necessary.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Cituning to indeed sell them - http://lefrancaisconnection.com/cituning/Default.aspx
Parts database\BX\Rear spoilers
Have a look at the pic - I can't post it on here, but it's priceless!
I'm not sure that heel will do much for the bumper [:p]
Didn't answer your Q though did it!
Can't say I've ever seen any 'figures' regarding respective downforce forces.
Personally I would imagine a 136 mph car would benefit from a bit of extra downforce.
Dan
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What does the BX needs the rear downforce for ??? [:I]
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Very light bodywork [:D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

A lot of cars generate front downforce and rear lift, anyone remember what Audi TTs were famous for doing on motorway sliproads?
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

And that applied to all models, even the humble 1.8.
Dan
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Folks,
Thanks to all who replied. I have carried out some searches on the subject, but to date have not found any data.
Maybe it's main purpose is for cosmetic reasons, but it sure stops the shopping falling off the tail gate, and on the down side makes it difficult to get the wiper blade on and off.
Cheers
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

which bx are you refering to on the pgti forum???? afaik there are only 2 on there, may be 3, white one(lukes), black one (mine!!) and a red one (robins)???????
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Problem with the TT was who bought it although I guess it was aimed there as well, ie mr posh/poser person and it wasnt sold as a drivers car. This is why there were a high number of incidents, mainly due to driving error. A friend of mine knows 2 of the main Audi test drivers and this is what they said. Audi had no choice but to make them safer and thus more boring. Thats the problem these days, cars are so dummed down to make them safe that you have to pay stupid amounts to get ones where you can actually turn off driver aids etc and have real fun (even if not on the road). Bring back the late 80's with tinny cars that were fun please! :)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, the TT was a deathtrap due to aerodynamic lift in crosswind conditions. After lots of Germans and a couple of Brits were seriously killed in them Audi did everything that they could to avoid a safety recall. If a car is dangerous, it isn't nannying or boring to make it safe, just foolish to suggest otherwise.
Back on topic: Bx spoilers were for showroom appeal. If you must have a spoiler on your BX, the cheapest one available does not increase drag or fuel consumption.
Only available in blue, it is a stick on fitting to the bootlid and can be recognised by the prominent letters FORD.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cornishbx16v</i>

which bx are you refering to on the pgti forum???? afaik there are only 2 on there, may be 3, white one(lukes), black one (mine!!) and a red one (robins)???????
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That White one with the quads, cant remember the guys name but he's a cool geeza[:)]