Here's a question for you ....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Here's a question for you ....

Post by sooty »

It's that time of year where we start checking Antifreeze levels ready for the winter.
When renewing your antifreeze we are advised to give the system a good flush out before putting in the new antifreeze.
I had a cheap thought the other day. The womens mags say to put a dissolved dishwasher tablet into a teapot or flask to remove the brown scale etc.
Has anyone tried this method to clean their cooling system instead of the off the shelf methods.???????
Another quickie, where on the back of the block is the block drain plug, gearbox end or belts end.??
beezer

Post by beezer »

Sounds interesting but I would be interested to find out what is in the tablets first. I know many have salt in them. I have repaired many washing machines that have suffered from detergent caused corrosion. Alloy heads and ferrous blocks - could be a problem.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

your not adniting to reading womens mags are you??
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rossnunn</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Don't like old people indeed. Just read your chunky-monkey site. I'm 40. Does that make me old and if so will you advocate enforced euthanasia if you become Prime Minister? [:0][:0]
Back on topic, I'm not too sure about this one to be honest. I wouldn't put any unknown chemical in my system in case it reacts detrimentally with other chemicals.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kafkaian</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rossnunn</i>

Don't like old people indeed. Just read your chunky-monkey site. I'm 40. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What <b>is</b> an old person?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
What <b>is</b> an old person?
Dunno Mike - but my Gandfather is 93, still drives (Astra van), clay pigeon shoots weekly, does a car boot sale every week and has recently got himself a 68 year old girlfriend... Dont call him old unless you want shooting!
My father is 76 and still does all his own (and frequenly mine too) mechanicking, makes a lot of his own bits and restored a Bond Minicar last year - when asked he told me only his knees are old, the rest of him is still 18[:o)]
Your only as young as the woman you feel (im my dads case 53 and grandfathers 68 then....[:D])
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Drain plug location.
Dave
Jon

Post by Jon »

Been having fun with a Xantia Dave?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wouldn't put diswasher powder any where near my engine, certainly not inside. It attacks aluminium saucepans quite nicely and attacks the monkey metal blocks at the base of some pan handles and causes them to disintegrate.
Aluminium is a strange material that behaves as an acid at times if I remember my chemistry correctly and I wouldn't allow anything near it that might corrode through radiator/heater tubes or nibble away at waterway edges.
Jeremy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I think most are missing the point of the question.
When you flush an engine cooling system you fill it with a flushing agent and run for a few miles as instructed by who ever made the agent, then you flush it out till clean, not run it with agent for miles and miles.
Aluminium saucepans take quite sometime to corroed as seen myself from my dishwasher of 15years.
And I don't read the womens mags, its what the wife told me to do to clean my flask after a few fishing trips.
beezer

Post by beezer »

So what do 'Finish' instruct you to do on the packet?
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

I just used a strong kitchen cleaner (like sugar soap but a bit weaker), drop it into the top hose with thermostat out and let it bubble out the top of the rad. Its worked twice now with blocked heater matrixes and doesnt have any strong chemicals, gritty bits or acid/alkali. It smells nice too. And its only in there for a couple of hours, just keep moving the flow from rad to thermostat. Hot water works best.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Old people = people over the age where their driving becomes a danger to the public.
Chunky Monkey is not real.
I don't really look like that - similar, but not the same.
The sats on the 'about me' page of chunky-monkey.co.uk (plug) are not real, I made them up one sunday afternoon with beer in hand.
The site was made as a resource for others. There are not many sites around for the Mk1 Mr2 or ZX (especially the ZX) so it was created for that reason & a bit of fun.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

No Jon that was a zx transplant from a couple of years ago.
Dave