how do you start a diesel with no glow plugs???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

Beezer and Nick - I've still got a 1952 Ferguson TE20 petrol/TVO (Tractor Vapourizing Oil = paraffin). It runs OK on petrol but isn't very powerful on paraffin, whats more, paraffin costs more than petrol over hear so the whole thing is just for the sentiment of it!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dunno about Sweden, but in the UK it is usual to run old petrol/paraffin tractors on domestic heating oil. Certainly the father's David Brown Cropmaster runs on it without protest...
beezer

Post by beezer »

Nick and NiSk - Takes me back to my days in the Orkney Islands. You could get parts there for things most people didn't know existed! The old tractors were sill going on sale in auctions. A friend got a 1948 petrol/paraffin Fordson Major for 20 quid.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I know one filling station here that sold paraffin for £1.10 per gallon until recently. The diesel Fordson actually runs well on paraffin too, better than it runs on derv. It will also run quite happily on used LHM fluid [:D]
Its surprising how easy it is to get parts for old tractors, just a case of knowing where to go and who to ask.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beezer</i>

In my truck driving days of the early seventies we didn't have glow plugs (eeh by gum etc). The Ford trucks had a 'cold start' lever which was accessed through the radiator grill and needed a second person to operate it. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is because they were direct injection engines. The cold start device simply allowed the fuel rack to move beyond the normal full fuel position.
Glowplugs are only of use in an indirect injection engine where the fuel is squirted into a swirl chamber.
It then became illegal to make a vehicle where it could be operated from inside the cab (for extra climbing power!) so the device became a button on the injector pump or a thing poking through the grille.
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Hold up Aren't HDi's Direct Injection? They have glow plugs?
puzzled
paul
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My neighbour's old diesel Transit doesn't appear to have glow plugs. DI engines don't need them, as uhn113x says, but the downside is that they are a lot noisier, with a much more pronounced knock, which is why they didn't often appear in cars.
What does HDI stand for anyway?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Does HDI stand for 'Haute Diesel Injection' ??
beezer

Post by beezer »

Modern car direct injection engines mostly use glow plugs. As far as I know glow plugs were invented for indirect injection engines which were not as efficient as direct ones. Glow plugs reduce cold start emissions so are retained in compact car direct injection engines. The beasts that ran our trucks were noisy and smelly. The bosses had huge bedsprings fitted to the throttle linkage to keep our speed down. Everyone used to take them off when they left the depot and replace with weaker ones. Much easier on the right foot when you are using it all day. I don't know when glow plugs appeared on Transits. We had Bedford CFs without them and the first glow plug Transits we had were bought around 1975.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The Perkins engine fitted to Maestro/Montego DI diesels had glowplugs, but doesn't seem to need them except in cold weather. In mild weather the warning light stays on only for about a second and the engine starts instantly.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

HDI, High pressure Direct Injection.
Dave
beezer

Post by beezer »

HDI - Haute Pression
Directe Injection - Which translates as High Pressure Direct Injection. Mustn't forget they are French!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Is there anyway you can start an automatic petrol by bumpstarting? They will roll in Neutral but would it ever start if you rammed it into Drive when you had enough speed?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I don't know about 'modern' cars but my dad's Rover 3 litre could be started by towing at around 32mph.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Everything in an autobox is controlled by hydraulic pressure - built up from a pump driven by the torque converter - so its difficult to imaging how one could create a situation where the correct oil pressure could be built up by towing. In fact many autoboxes demand that they are not towed more than a short distance and at a low maximum speed, since they have no lubrication when not being driven by the engine.
//NiSk
beezer

Post by beezer »

The 3 litre had a fluid torque converter but it was even in the handbook that it could be started at 32mph. Strange.....
This link might explain (slightly):http://vets.list.archives.mbz.org/1999/ ... 1_Num_877/