it keeps dieing on me

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bulldog7274
My Cars:

it keeps dieing on me

Post by bulldog7274 »

can anyone out there help me please. i have a bx diesel [:)] its going great guns but every now and then it has a habit of dieing on me at the most inconvenient time [:(], so far i have replaced the fuel filter, how much muck and god knows what can you get out of those things. could it be the fuel cut off solanoid and how do you check to see if they are working properly. or if anybody has got any otrher ideas that i could check. please help me [:D].
beezer

Post by beezer »

Air getting in is what I would say. I am always going on about the two rubber hoses that connect to the tank but it did fox garage after garage for over a year. They can go porous. It could be electrical but check out fuel lines and copper sealing washers first.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'd agree that this problem sounds like air getting into the fuel lines.
At the back of the engine you'll probably find that the diesel supply pipe is connected to a (water) diesel heating unit, these things are notorious for unreliability, and drawing in air. Most people bypass them by joining up the fuel pipe with a small length of tubing and a couple of jubilee clips.
I'd probably rule out the stop solenoid, these usually work, or they don't!
I'd also have another look at the fuel filter, drain it out (is dirt still getting in there?) and rebleed.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Next time it cuts out, as an emergency only. Bridge the stop solenoid direct from the battery if you think this could be faulty. Check the ignition key wiring under the steering cowling and the two multipin block connectors behind the radio. Input and output from main switch. 4 red and 4 white wires. Maybe supply related ??
Remember, the engine is not going to stop on the key, if you bridge out.
bulldog7274
My Cars:

Post by bulldog7274 »

thanks for the sugestions folks will have to have a look see at fuel heater and filter to see wats hapening there will let you know how i get on with it. cheers
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

One of mine got into the habit of suddenly switching itself off at inconvenient moments(like in the outside lane of M6) was caused by poor earthing, matter was fixed by adding a heavy earth connection between engine and body.
Stewart