ZX Diesel pump swap: CAV to Bosch - How?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beezer

Post by beezer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

Citroën actually give instructions, in the official workshop manual, on how to tiewrap the timing belt to the various pulley so as not to upset the timing when changing the fuel pump. In the instructions I have it applies to the TD12 and the DK5 (2.1 and 2.5 litre diesels) but I assume the same applies to the 1.9. So Citroën seems to think its OK to reuse a belt.
//NiSk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This is when changing fuel pump and not sprocket. The 1.9 pump can be changed with the pulleys locked in place. It has already been established that the pulley has to be changed. I know what is in volved in trying to fit a pump pulley on a 1.9 XUD engine without having the belt de-tensioned and clear of the pulley. It is not worth the bother.
Apologies for not reading where you said 6k Drabux but it is up to you. You have been warned. I certainly wouldn't be using the belt to its normal life expectancy. What Tom Sheppard says about tooth profiles has some substance too.
Incidentally, Renault do not recommend re-using a belt. Citroen recommend changing a belt at 72000 miles but sensible people do it at 50000. Ford may sell more belts with their recommendation but Citroen would sell more valve gear with theirs!
Dave, I type and read what I type. Too much to be reiterating. But you can compact something and stretch it as well. The angles will alter the bigger the belt. Doesn't take much to figure that out.
Oilyspanner has said the most sensible thing. I had said that a Lucas pump was good at 50/50 mix. Just note that we are approaching some cold days though. Why not leave this as a summer project?
Addendum: Although Renault quite clearly do not recommend re-using a used belt they do advise on tensioning one! They specify 80% of recommended tension for a new belt. I rest my case m'Lud.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Any engineering shop worth the name should be able to supply a Woodruff key in pretty much any size for a few pence. I'd be inclined to replace it anyway - but be sure to obtain one in the correct material, as the original might be designed to shear on overload to save more expensive damage.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Just to throw my twopennorth in, I would say for the sake of a few quid put a new belt on anyway- if only to extend the length of time before you have to do the next belt change, pain in the butt job that it is!!!!!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Dont be such tight arses, buy a new belt... dear me its not exactly expensive is it!?!