DK5 ATE 2.5 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

DK5 ATE 2.5 TD

Post by Robin »

Learning about my new motor - XM 2.5TD
I have found records of this engine being in the Peugeot 605 2.5TD, SRDT, ST & SVDT plus I think one of the vans.
I am just looking around in case the info comes in handy sometime.
Also the one I have has the Bosch VP36 electronic fuel injection.
Set up optimisation or can it be 're-chipped'?
Any thoughts welcome, R
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yes, the DK5 can be readily boosted to about 150 - 170 hp by chip tuning. BUT . . . don't use it all for too long - the big restriction on this engine is the stupid air/water intercooler. Using all that power will cook the engine. Might be worth investing in some of RedLines water wetter - supposed to increase cooling effect by 20%.
Although this engine was ofered in the 605, I've never actually seen one. I'm not at all sure that it found its way into the vans - the 2.5 they use is the old CX mill (although these nothing really wrong with it).
//NiSk
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

NiSk, thanks for the info. I was given the impression that the intercooler was a liability if the engine is pushed too hard. My desire is simply to improve the torque for general performance with the trailer attached. Naturally this would then give me a more spirited drive solo.
I will follow up the idea with a couple of UK based companies. Regards, Robin
Jon

Post by Jon »

This engine was used in the Citroen Relay/ Peugeot Boxer 2.5TD 94-98 although it did without the balancer shaft belt. The CX engine was used in the C25, J5 and Ducatto >94.
shezads

Post by shezads »

Try askig derv docter - or allard tuning. They have intercooler conversions - may be able to replace intercooler with better/more efficient one - normally larger. They do this for the 306/ZX Xantia/406, 206 etc anyway!
Then chip it to 170 odd - with a better intercooler I think you may get to 180 bhp.
May cost a bit though.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

So the engine has a pedigree seemingly without major failures, I like that bit[:D]
Not sure I want to go all the way with tuning though. Thanks for the info guys, R.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

You could add the water wetter, DIY make.
Simply buy a front sprinkler deposit with pump, some nozzles and of you go!
The rear one from an old R21 Nevada (the estate) is great for this, as the pump/deposit is small enough to fit inside a bonnet (just don't use it often [:P])
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Thanks for clearing that up Jon, now I know where to look for spare engine parts! I was pretty sure the DK5 in XM guise was far too sophisticated for a truck - but without the balancer shafts, well I'll have to try a ride in one and see if I can feel the difference (they certainly work in the XM - feels every bit as smooth as a BMW "6")
//NiSk
beezer

Post by beezer »

Not exactly the same engine but a useful wee site:
http://www.christiantena.pwp.blueyonder ... bbm2k3.htm
crooser

Post by crooser »

robin,keep the engine in it's standard form of 130 bhp,never let the water level drop and it will be fine.i have had one for 4 years and had to fit a new head because the water level dropped and the rise in temperature didn't show on the guage-bad design there.other than that it's a good engine.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I've just discovered that the DK5 engine in XM guise has a whole handfull of air venting points - all over the place! It seems that this is a vital consideration to take into account if the water has been drained for any reason.
//NiSk
crooser

Post by crooser »

be careful of the vent at the back of the block next to the bulkhead.it's a 10mm bolt with a slot in it to let the air out,don't take it all the way out or you will probably lose it like i did.to be on the safe side fill your socket with grease to hold it.