No Second Gear!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JSP_AX
My Cars:

No Second Gear!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by JSP_AX »

Just wondering if anybody had an idea my car is a citroen ax 1.5 diesel tud5 and its covered about 60k miles. after finding out that the head gasket is seeping the dreaded oil everywhere. now when drivin i can't get the second gear all the rest work perfectly, this is my 1st car. Help and please tell me not all citroens are this bad! lol
JSP_AX
My Cars:

Post by JSP_AX »

bump lol
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Not all Citroens are that bad, mine are usually ,much worse.
Now to stick my neck out here, is your head gasket leaking oil out of the head or into the water? If its just out of the head, ignore it, my visa xud engine did that for thousands of miles no problem. No second gear, could you elaborate? Is it just nothing when you engage it? cant engage it? tried a bit of double de-clutching and sneaking up on it? WOrse case scenario a used box isnt that big a deal on an ax.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

As far as the oil leak is concerned, are you sure that it is coming from the head gasket and not the rocker cover gasket?
As Stinkwheel, more details for 2nd gear problem, when, where, how etc.
JSP_AX
My Cars:

Post by JSP_AX »

the gear stick needs pushing right over and is then it takes a lot of effort to pull it into 2nd,its always difficult to engage. but will engage with a lot of effort. the oil is leakin out of the head not into the water
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

2nd gear - what's the condition of the lever linkage? If it slack it may impede selection. Also worth having a good look at the engine mounts and the clutch adjustment if the problem is that the gear can't be engaged easily on the move.
jeremy
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

wow you have an ax without second just like me do what i did park it on your elderly neighbours drive and buy a new ax take all good bit of old put on new one. be warned gearbox problems allways get worse
JSP_AX
My Cars:

Post by JSP_AX »

problem solved A bolt had come lose all it needed was tightening
wow i luv my ax with a tight gearbox now 4 the dashboard lights and a service
honest officer i cant c how fast i'm going lol
cheers 4 all the help
tris

Post by tris »

Hey guys, as your on the topic of gearboxes, i was wondering if changing from a 4 speed box to a 5 speed is just a simple swap? I have a '93 ax debut (1 litre) and use it on the motorway often wanting to change into 5th to stop her screaming!
obviously Im thinking different models have various ratios so which would be most suited to the 1litre. Did citroen ever offer a 5 speed for this engine? I know my friend's saxo has 5 gears, im sooo jealous!
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

the Diesel.. GT...GTI..& Forte all had 5 speed boxes. but not sure how a 1.0 would cope with the ratios.. possibly not too well[B)]