Glow plug tips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Glow plug tips

Post by Jshodgson »

I have just changed my Xantia glow plugs for Beru's for the first time. It took me 5 hours all in and I learnt some valuable tips for next time.
1. Place some rags just below the glow plugs to catch both the nuts and washers and glow plugs when you drop them (I spent over an hour looking for both plugs and nuts)
2. Have a long implement with a small magnet on the end for picking up said lost nuts and washers from awkward places.
3. Have a very comprehensive spanner/socket set to hand as I used about 9 different combinations on mine.
4. Best tip of all...for the plug furthest lesft (as you look at your enging from the front) I bent a 12mm spanner by heating it on the cooker and bashing it with a hammer so it would fit into the most awkward of places (I did consider dismantling most of the engine at one point).
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Yes, its that time of year again!
Sorry to gloat[}:)][}:)], but I did mine yesterday on my normally aspirated BX diesel, and it took all of 45 minutes!!!!
I have heard access on the Xantia is a bit more tricky.......
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

my xantia has been getting a little sluggish to start on a morning (glow plugs i think) but i've been putting it off, then yesterday morning first frost we have had the battery gave up, replaced battery but still need to sort the plugs out, finally got to work a hour late and received a call from the wife to say the focus we have has a burst water pump after only 15,000 miles and it aint covered under warranty, oh what a great day.
beezer

Post by beezer »

I just bought my first pair of chains from an eBayer in Bayern. Moved up to Aberdeenshire from Glasgow and taking no chances!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah the joys of that number four glow plug behind the fuel pump. Something inside says to me "glad were now petrol again,". Once you've done it, it's childs play the next time. [:D]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That's Citroens for you. You put so much sweat equity into the first one that it seems a waste of knowledge to buy anything else!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Did the same on the Pug on Thursday. I used a multimeter on the plugs and found they should be working, but it still didn't start very well. I found all the plugs working but one was only glowing at the thread end, not the tip. Even though the plug was glowing it wasn't doing any good. I'll be taking them out to check in future.
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

What really made it worth while for me was that when I ttok out the old plugs they were NGK. No wonder it hasn't been starting well! It made the 5 hours bearable!!