How to change drumbrakes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MrXantia
My Cars:

How to change drumbrakes?

Post by MrXantia »

Tomorrow is my first "change the back brakes" on my wifes ZX. Ever since my first Cit I always had discs front and rear, but this ZX has drums.
I would appreciate very much if any hints and suggestions on possible hidden trapdoors that I should be aware of before starting.
Its a 1.4i 1995.
Thanks
/Lars
beezer

Post by beezer »

Hej Lars,
If it is like the Peugeots you would be best getting a puller to remove the drums. The Peugeot drums come away with the bearings leaving a stub axle. Just make sure the brake shoes are completely free from the drum. Long bar needed to get the hub nut off. Use new nuts on replacement.
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Beezer
The hub nut, what is that? And the bar needed, is that for added torque?
/Lars
beezer

Post by beezer »

It is the big nut like the nut on the drive shaft on the front. Yes, you need the bar for torque. There is probably a cap covering the nut.
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Thanks beezer, I hope my DIY shop has got a couple of new nuts.
I just notised you wrote "Hej", are you danish? I så fald mange tak.
/Lars
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Just had the rear brakes done on our 94 ZX 1.9D (same system as 1.4) which has done 68,000 miles. I didnt fancy doing the job and the deal was that I would supply the bits - so I got shoes, cables and nuts and caps. In fact the cylinders had also gone and a lining had come off the shoe!
Incidentally the car had a new MOT - just a recommendation that the handbrake be looked at which didn't surprise me as it seemed to be working better on one side.
The nuts and caps are not expensive and seem to be easily available.
Jeremy
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Anyone know anything about the bearings leaving a stub axle as I remove the drum, as beezer wrote about?
Maybe some of you would like to scan and email a x-ray shot of the assembly? I think it should be in the Haynes manual, but I can't get my hands on one today [V].
/Lars
beezer

Post by beezer »

Nej Lars, Dansk er jeg ikke men jeg taler norsk og lidt dansk!
I am trying to find a plan of the rear assembly. I may have a plan for the Peugeot which will be much the same. The nuts have soft metal ends which you knock into the end of the axle to lock them in place. I have found that the torque is 140nm. If you give me an e-mail address I can send you what plans I can find.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Anyone know anything about the bearings leaving a stub axle as I remove the drum, as beezer wrote about?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't know, but I think it may be like a 205 where the wheel bearing is contained in the drum and comes away with it-its no problem, it just goes back on the stub axle when the drum goes back.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Yes - that is the picture.
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Well, thanks for the replies everyone. I just did it! [:)] and it was a 3 hour job, but only because it was hard getting the right rear drum off. A pulley finally did the job. Assemblying again was easy, just do one side at a time and look at the other side for how to put springs and how to turn the brakepads.
/Lars
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

thats the whole key to drum brakes, take the drums off both sides but only take one apart, use one as refernce whilst you work on the other side. Peice of cake, I hate drums though, no car shousl have drums on these days, if citroen can fit disks all round from the DS in 50's GS and SM in 1970 etc then nothing should have drums. I mean new flippin fords and vauxhalls and lesser cits still have them, ridiculous. And have you ever tried buying rear shoes for a visa diesel locally, no one ever has them, same goes for CX front pads though, my local cit dealer even asked me what a CX was, i said forget it........makes me mad!!
beezer

Post by beezer »

Well done Lars!