ZX Dripping Oil :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

ZX Dripping Oil :(

Post by rossnunn »

I went to work as per usual today, come lunchtime I niped out & when I came back I noticed a patch of wet oil on the concrete where I was parked. It was about the size of a A5 sheet of paper.
A little worried if it was from me I left the car back about a foot from the oil and went in. Half hour later I went out popped the bonnet to look through the huge space around the engine & on the left hand side of the engine (where the cambelt etc are) on the floor were three freash drops of oil - about the size of a 50 pence piece.
Looking around it seems to be coming from around the power steering pump area, I orginaly thought it might me coming from the rocker seal but its all clean up there.
My plan is to was the engine down over the weekend & see if I can see where exactly it coming from.
So before I get all dirty [}:)] anyone have any ideas?
Its a 1.4i on a N plate - Maybe it heard the conversation I was having about replacing it with a 1.4MPI & decided to throw its dummy out [V] Mind you I do give it a good lashing now and again - mainly to clear any carbon deposit - Honist [^]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Best thing is to clean it and have a good look. Its worth checking that the oil filter is tight (obvious I know but I've had a Purflux leak and would comment that the washers seem harder than some)
What can happen is that oil leaking onto the fron of the engine travels sideways in the air blast when the car is driven fast and gives misleading drips.
I suppose it is definitely engine oil not power steering fluid? If it was that size I would have thought the PAS reservoir would be well down by now.
Otherwise its the usual - crank/camshaft seals, loose sump, vent hoses . . .
jeremy
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Right this is another chracteristic of the 1.4 TU engine. They are prone to oil leaks at the headgasket joint on the corner on the cambelt side of the engine which is just above the powersteering pump.
I had my headgasket on my 1.4i zx changed because of this. And within a year it was back. As long as oil is not getting on your cambelt it will be okay. Also keep an eye for oil in the coolant, as this usually occurs as well when the gasket is leaking oil as mine is know and yes i have oil in the coolant, but is not too bad at the moment.
If I were you I would just keep an eye on it for know as its a £200+ job to replace the headgasket and the problem would be back within a short space of time.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I took the top cover off the cambelt and looked through the holes of the top pulley there was some oil deposit.
Weather this is the source of the leak or it is comming, as Citman says, from the corner of the head I wouldn't know till morning.
Although if it was leaking from the CS seal would there not be oil deposit on the back of the engine too? This looks clean, pointing back to what Citman said.
I'll check the PAS fluid, water & oil levels tomorrow & report back. At £200 if it is the head, I think a 1.4 MPI may find its way in. Assuming they cured the problem by then?
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

No they havent, the later units have this problem as well, but also tend to seep water from the headgasket joint as well. I can guarantee to you that its the headgasket thats leaking the oil. There will be some oil deposits within the cambelt housing, but as long as the belts dry you should be okay. What I tend to do is check the belt every know and again for oil contamination.
Id rather change the headgasket than fiddle around putting another engine in. £150 - £300 for an engine from a scrappy. Plus labour of 6 hours say at £30 an hour which is £180.
To be honest the car wont be worth much, I got offered £100 to trade in mine. And its 94 M reg Citroen ZX 1.4i Advantage.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Just double check those power steering pipes mate. They have a problem with leaks from where they go under the engine. They'er a right pain in the back side to sort out as the oil gets all gritty. Not a big job just messy.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I'm a bit of a dapper with a spanner so would fit the MPI myself, I have seen a few on ebay fetch no money, less then £100 normaly but if they haven't fix the problem - but created another one then I'll have to re-think.
If I get the head done, is there anything I can do to stop it happening again?
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Think its best to put up with it, but keep checking the cambelt for oil contamination. And get the head done once the belt gets oil on it.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Ok, had a look at it today, your right its coming from the head.
The oil is about half way down between the two markings - it was serviced about 2 months ago so oil was changed then.
The water has a little oil in it but not much.
The PAS fluid, after getting the cap off!! is up on the full markings & looks quite fresh.
I was planing to leeavve the top cover off so I can keep an eye on it all.