wiring break(?) in central locking on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Forth
My Cars:

wiring break(?) in central locking on ZX

Post by Forth »

My ZX (R reg. TD sx) has an irritating fault in its central locking; the doors keep locking and semi-unlocking of their own accord when the car is moving. The system can also lock itself if you get out and close the door -- or even move the car body a bit, like lean on it -- with the keys still inside (bad news if ever stuck without a spare set on the outside!).
Pretty sure by now that the fault is in the wiring, and probably at the driver's door rather than the others. A wire break would be most likely to have happened in the flexing section between the plug that bayonet-fixes onto the door's plug, and the door-mounting pillar.
Is there an off-the-shelf section of wiring that can be substituted for this bit? Equally to the point, does the wiring that runs to and through the door-hanging pillar simply and accessibly plug on to the rest of the wiring loom under the bonnet, or is it a more extensive and complicated replacement job?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As well as the wiring itself it coule be one of the numerous switches in the system. The locking motor (drivers door - 5 wire motor) has them as does the door catch itself. Incidentaly the lights-on alarm does not work of these but off the door pillar switches.
jeremy
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

One other electrical problem appeared at the same time -- the rear wiper motor jammed and partly burnt out (thanks to bad replacement by one moronically incompetent garage that did some bodywork). It will still rotate the spindle if the wiper blade blade is not in contact with the glass, but not very willingly. Doubt the dud wiper could affect the locking... unless anyone knows different?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

The locking motor (drivers door - 5 wire motor) has them as does the door catch itself. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mine only has a switch inside the drivers' door motor - no other switches on the catch, and the schematic does not show any of these, either. Incidentally, the ZX door locks can be dismantled for lubrication, unlike some [:)]
Forth - the central locking and (both) wipers are on separate fuses.