crunchie gears

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

whorlicks

crunchie gears

Post by whorlicks »

my xantia 1.9td 1996 is having that friday feeling. im finding it harder to engage gears.its been getting steadily worse over about 3 months and had a bit of clutch judder. so i thought this was playing up with the gears but just had a nice new clutch and hey presto its still hard to get into gear.
am i looking at a new gearbox [?]am i missing something
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Check the lubricant?
whorlicks

Post by whorlicks »

gear oils not long been changed and is ok . im unsure about gear linkages and it got dark before i could play with it. can i just oil em or is there a way of telling if they are doing what they should be doing ?
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Adjust your clutch cable by turning the nuts at the end, under the airbox, probaby need to loosen them. My new clutch seem to have an occasional problem of disengaging from the first gear. If I don't wait a second longer when depressing the clutch lever, the first gear will be difficult to disengage and if forced, will disengaged with a dreadful thud. Now I always have to wait a little longer on the clutch to disengage. Is there any way to tune it?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whorlicks</i>

gear oils not long been changed and is ok .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
On the BXs they would give similar symptoms to this if they were put on synthetic or if the wrong grade gear oil was used.
Check to be sure the grade exactly as specified by Citroen has been put in otherwise, you'll invest in a new box, shove in the same oil and possibly end up with the same set of circumstances.
May not be the problem but it's always the first place to look & is the cheapest and quickest of all possibilites.
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

From comments on here it is apparent that Citroen (in common with many other) gearboxes are very sensitive to the grade of gear oil. it is possible that the wrong grade was used when the box was topped up after the clutch change and that a change and replacement with the correct grade would improve things.
Clutch adjustment is also very important - is the pedal only freeing when the pedal is close to the floor? - if so adjust it.
hanging on to first gear is an interesting habit. Our ZX 1.9D does this - clutch is excellent - it did it when we got it at 53,000 miles and seemed to have had the clutch replaced fairly recently. My BX TD has never done this but as it has done about 130,000 miles more than the ZX this may be the reason. Adjusting the clutch improved the change but didn't affect the hanging on. It only happens when cold and we just ignore it.
jeremy
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Use TOTAL BV