Xsara - broken door handle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bpwood

Xsara - broken door handle

Post by bpwood »

Unlocked car & lifted the handle - it came off in my hand (front drivers side). According to Haynes looks like a bit of a pig to replace - removing inner door trim/lining etc.Have got the new part, not sure whether to let the garage fit it. Any thoughts, tips, ideas from the very nice people out there?
The plastic door lining is a bit of a worry - could I just make a slit in it for access, then tape it up again? Also not sure about riveting on the new part - the old one is fixed with bolts/torx head nuts. Xsara 98TD Estate.
Cheers, Paul.
bpwood

Post by bpwood »

Just to answer my own question, I've fitted new handle & it wasn't too difficult! Removed door trim, then cut through the foamy adhesive stuff round edge of the lining - just the corner bit opposite the handle. Removed the torx screw & 10mm nut/bolt to take out bits of old handle, then re-used screw & bolt to fit new handle. A bit fiddly to get the nut on inside the door - a nut driver & blutack did the trick! Sort of followed Haynes, but didn't remove as many bits as they suggest. Garage had quoted £50-£60, so am well chuffed.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Nice one. The door handles are flimsy considering the weight of the front doors.
I've got into the habit of pulling the door open by the edge of the door after lifting the handle, as the driver's side handle has always felt like it would easily come away.
It's the kind of thing that fuels Citroen's reputation as builders of shoddy junk.