ZX four wheel drift

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

ZX four wheel drift

Post by rossnunn »

I've often read about when you push the ZX hard round a bend, the rear suspension does it's thing, then it drift's gently - controlably round the bend.
Well the other day I managed to get my ZX to do it, it was round a 90 degree bend that was damp & a bit muddy, I turned in ok, gave it a welly full and the thing went round on rails then gently drifted for about 2 sec, long enough to add some opposit lock (not alot) and drive off down the round.
No big deal, no snapping off the back end, just ever-so-gently.
Good I love these car's - Just needs abit more mid-range torque...
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Mine only drifts in the wet, in the dry it just gently starts understeering.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Never done it in ZX but my old CX turbo was huge fun for doing this, turn in quite hard, it would corner well and then just start to slide nicely, some small amount of opposite lock would cure it if it got too bad (but with the DIRAVI on the CX it wasnt ideal) so a quick lift off and it would get back in line, lovely :-)
The dyane does it too, quite easily in the wet but you have to try quite hard in the dry, and the technique is different, you just have to go into the turn too hot and let it push itself out to the point of slide, again, lift off and it all comes back into line, i reccomend it (on a private road only though folks :-)
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

When all of your suspension bushes are not shot like mine its quite easy to get them to slide. (I take no responsibility for this) Go into a roundabout or something on the power then lift totally, you will soon get the back out then just put the power back down with opposite lock and enjoy yourself. Of course theres always the risk that you go too far like I did before at Goodwood when I put the outside rear wheel on the slippery rumble strip. It didnt come back that time :D [xx(]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ah noooooo
Any damage?
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Actually to Hijack the threead again, I used to have a lovely little AX GT, show it a nice wet roundabout, too much entry speed and lift off boot it, lift off boot it approach to throttle would drift nicely all the way round (again on private roads osiffer)
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

You bunch of sad b*astards.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

ahhh, I see you have met me before :-)
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

bunch of sad b'stads? why exactly? if cars were meant to potter everywhere slowly they would all still have 2cv engines in.
ross: yes :)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

visaGTi16v: was it the red one? Went into the barrier nose first?
Idontgo: interesting response, and a bit unexpected, but whats wrong with nailing it round roundabouts? As long as you don't endanger anyone I can't see the problem.
If someone would give a big open bit of tarmac I'd happerly use it to find the limit of my car. I'd thrash it round a track, but it is my pride and joy, and you only know where the limit is when you cross it. On a track I'd be too scared of when it goes off, putting into something hard.
So if you know the road, like me, and have driven down it every day for the last 5+ years, like me, and your on your own, like me, and no-ones about where is the harm? If I wrap it round a tree, its my fault. If I throw it off the island into a dyke on its roof and die its still my fault. No one is hurt but me (oh and the car might not be in such good shape :))
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

bunch of sad b'stads? why exactly? if cars were meant to potter everywhere slowly they would all still have 2cv engines in.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The cars that <b>do</b> have 2CV engines in them will potter quite quickly, if driven as they were intended to be.
I have had no problem holding a Dyane against the stop (80mph plus) for hours on the autobahn.
All purely academic, though - in 10 years time, pottering slowly is all we will be able to do, if traffic increases at its present rate [:(]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Well Said Mike,
I Love doing just that, I once came back down the motorway from Tan Hill one tear doing an off the clock of the dyane speed, bloke in the audi got right miffed. But worse have to agree about future traffic problems.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Well I was working in Jersey yesterday where theres apparently a 40mph limit island wide. A 2cv would be ideal there :)
I remember back to when I was learning to drive. My friend was able to use his parents 2cv and my other friend has his own mini 850 :D
I think my dads had about 4-5 2cv/dyanes but before my time. He drove to spain for his honeymoon in one. Must get an extensive list from him sometime as hes had tons of visa's as well as other citroens