Xantia hydroactive 8 v

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wicher
My Cars:

Xantia hydroactive 8 v

Post by Wicher »

I read somewhere on internet that the brake control valve of all Xantia's are faulty after 50.000 km. Is this true and what are the symptoms (problems). My Xantia has driven 181000 km. There is no excessive return of LHM to the reservoir, as a matter of fact there is almost no return. Is it still possible that the brake control valve is faulty? I have a lot of problems with the car, is very instabel, doesn't love storm or even wind and driving with the caravan is almost suicide. The spheres are new and of the right type. The suspensions are not leaking and with the hydroactive system seems nothing wrong. The hydraulic pressure regulator is okay (no excessive clicking, I renewed recently the sphere).Sometimes I have the feeling that for a short while the rear suspension is hard.
I doubt about the vehicle rear ride hightIf this is not correct can it cause my problems? Haynes give at least 2 figures for L2 dimension: 121 mm for models up to model year 1996 and 136 mm for models from 1996 on. the problem is that I don't know of what model year my car is. The car papers give the date of May 1 1996 but I read that in the Netherlands the import of Xantia 2l, 8 valves stopped in July 1995 or even the production was ended?
I hope anybody can help me so the problem will be solved. I will be very gratefully for I have allready problems for 2 years.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Don't believe all you read on the internet, if brake valves were shot after a mere 50.000 km's there would be a big stink about it, I have had two Xantia's well past that mileage with little difference in the operation of the brakes/suspension.
Your problem's may well be compounded with the extra complication of the Hydractive system, the first thing to do is make sure all the pivot's and linkages are working freely, then try bleeding the whole system, particularly the rear brakes, then go through a good few suspension cycles, minimum height to maximum height and leave it on minimum for a few minutes to allow the spheres to discharge fully before raising it again.
Check the trailing arm's for play in the bearings, that's about the only thing I could attribute a feeling of instability to, once had a similar sensation with a 405, turned out to be arm bearings then.
To find out your cars actual date of manufacture, look for the RP number, a four digit number, which in your case should start with the number 7, if it was actually built on May 1 1996 the number would be 7114, to complicate things further, this four digit number may be preceeded by the paint code.
If you find the number, go to http://www.google.com and type in "rp number decoder"
the exact day of manufacture can then be established.
Good luck
Dave
Wicher
My Cars:

Post by Wicher »

Dave
Thanks a lot for your answer; internet is a wonderfull item I think. I now know the production date of my car:December 19 1994 (a monday!).
The car is also from the model year 1994 or 1995. Following Haynes means that fot the rear hight L2=121mm and not 136 mm. Is it true that the rear hight for the older models is less than for the models from 1996 on (about 15 mm)? Can a incorrect hight causes my problems? Should the engine run bij making a good few suspension cycle? This cost a lot of time, for rising from lowest to the highest least about 2 minutes. But I will follow your advises next weekend.
I checked the electronic part of the hydroactiv system by connecting a lamp to the computer and then driving with the car. All looks working well, allthough I don't understand the working of the door sensors. With the engine off, door open, the lamp is burning but the electric valve is closed (suspension hard). May be there is something wrong with the hydraulic bloc but what? (I flushed the sytem allready for about 5000km, some month ago). Perhaps you have any idea. By the way, where can I find the security valve? I thank you very much by helping me; excuses for my bad English but I hope you understand me
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Citroen seem to be in a world of their own when it comes to electrics, get this, when the brake lights come on on my Xantia, the heater motor speeds up slightly, figure that one out.
Anyway, I think your ride height would have to be a very long way out of spec. to cause anything like your trouble, I would be looking for something worn or broken, bearings, bushes and the like, have you got excessive play in the steering, this will make driving in a cross wind very unpleasant to say the least.
Have you got Quality tyres of the correct size and pressure's fitted, all tyres are not created equal.
Don't think you will be having any problem's with the security valve, since your brakes work and the suspension goes up ok, it's located on a bracket on the left of the front subframe, above the steering rack, on a right hand drive model that is, left hand drive might be different.
Good luck
Dave