Renault Clio immobiliser problems

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lucy-clio

Renault Clio immobiliser problems

Post by lucy-clio »

I'm unable to start my 97 Clio 1.2 RL - AA patrol thought it might be my immobiliser or key fob that is faulty. I got it home that time as it started in the end but now I get nothing.[:(] The lights, heater etc all go on when I start the ignition, and the lights don't dim at all. The LED in front of the gearstick (immobiliser LED I think) goes on steady till the automatic choke light goes out, then it goes out too. Normally I think it goes off as soon as the key is in.
I don't have central locking or a button to press on the key fob, normally I just use the key to open doors and start the engine. I looked inside the key and there is just a small rectangular chip.
Don't have a spare key to use either unfortunately.
Any tips? From what I have read on the Internet, it sounds like the immobiliser transponder has failed or something. Will I need to take my car in or can I get a new battery or something for the key?
Cheers.
lucy-clio

Post by lucy-clio »

Update: it turned out to be my starter motor - I looked it up on GFS parts and it is around £60 so the £102 I've been quoted to replace it (labour and parts, excl. VAT) sounds OK (main dealer) I think (??).
A spare key will be £78 so I am thinking about that one...
Hopefully I won't be back on here for a while!