Frequency of hydraulic pump 'clicks'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alf
My Cars:

Frequency of hydraulic pump 'clicks'

Post by alf »

When buying second hand Xantia TD, whats the click frequency (technical term) one be looking for and what rate should sound warning bells?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Alf - If it clicks once every half to one minute, you can take it that the accumulator is OK. As it gets near to once every few seconds, be ready to replace it.
alf
My Cars:

Post by alf »

Thanks John D, Could you clarify a point for me? Is it the pump that clicks or the accumulator sphere. Pump = loadsamoney, Accumulator sphere = not too bad.
TVM
henrysheil
My Cars:

Post by henrysheil »

Hi Alf,
The sphere is a pressure vessel with a bladder inside, the bladder (like a balloon)being pressurised with Nitrogen gas. The LHM goes in the end and "squeezes" the bladder from the outside. It can't make any clicking noises.
The pump does the clicking, but it is turned on and off by the regulator which is where the sphere screws into. The regulator's commands to the pump to switch on or off are determined by the pressure in the system, and the rate of pressure loss/drop inside the system is governed by the precharge in the accumulator. When its precharge is low its ability to help top up hydraulic pressure in the system is reduced, so the pressure drops faster, so the pump has to cycle on and off more often.
Geddit? It's all very logical.
Henry
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Thanks John D, Could you clarify a point for me? Is it the pump that clicks or the accumulator sphere. Pump = loadsamoney, Accumulator sphere = not too bad.
TVM

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
alf
My Cars:

Post by alf »

Thanks Henry for an understandable explanation without the technobabble. As I understand it if its clicking frequently try changing the sphere before you start spending any serious money.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Alf - 99 times out of 100 the reason for the frequent clicking is the flatness of the accumulator sphere. Normally the pump is a long lasting item (providing LHM has been changed at recommended intervals), whereas the spheres last around three to four years.