XM diesel idle speed settings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dyerfam
My Cars:

XM diesel idle speed settings

Post by dyerfam »

1992 XM 2.1 TD Estate.
You may remember that recently I sucessfully repaired a leaky injection pump. All is running very well since then. However I thought I would check the various settings as described in my Haynes book of lies. Can't do it though! It tells you how to set idle speed, fast idle speed, and stall speed but neglects to say what they should be set at. Can someone give me the answers. I don't intend to fiddle if things are close to what they should be.
By the way, the smoke output on the car is the lowest that my tester and I have ever come accross. But a little more power would be nice.
John Dyer
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
1992 XM 2.1 TD Estate.
You may remember that recently I sucessfully repaired a leaky injection pump. All is running very well since then. However I thought I would check the various settings as described in my Haynes book of lies. Can't do it though! It tells you how to set idle speed, fast idle speed, and stall speed but neglects to say what they should be set at. Can someone give me the answers. I don't intend to fiddle if things are close to what they should be.
By the way, the smoke output on the car is the lowest that my tester and I have ever come accross. But a little more power would be nice.
John Dyer
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Hi John!
I run an XM TD12 from '93. It's gone around 450 000 km and is still running perfectly (on original plugs and injectors). It has the Bosch pump which apparantely is more reliable than Joe Lucas. The instructions on the transfer under my bonnet say idle speed 950 - 980 rpm, however, a good friend who has serviced Cits for about 20 years advised med to increase it to just over 1000 rpm. This eliminates an irritating "booming" sound under certain conditions.
//NiSk