Rear wheel passive steering on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

freestyle
My Cars:

Rear wheel passive steering on ZX

Post by freestyle »

Hi, have 1996 ZX 1.4 Elation with 44K miles.
Just put through MOT, passed no problems but I have a clunking noise from rear when on bumpy roads or braking suddenly, mechanic who did MOT thought something to do with Torsion arm, but not sure. He was unaware of the ZX rear wheel passive steering, (RWPS). Might this clunk be a bush or link associated with RWPS? P.S also noting
that when braking back end dips as if rear brakes are cutting in earlier than front is this normal? Mechanic saw no problems with Brakes. Any ZX owners out there who have had any problems with rear shocks or mountings for RWPS going at this mileage?
John Lightbody
Edited by - freestyle on 23 Jan 2002 13:36:27
Edited by - freestyle on 23 Jan 2002 13:38:24
Edited by - freestyle on 23 Jan 2002 13:41:14
alf
My Cars:

Post by alf »

I'm no expert so I don't know what is causing your particular problem however, the symptoms that you describe turned out to be the big rubber bushes which hold the rear axle onto the body. Apparently this is a common problem. On my ZX it was obvious when you jacked up the rear of the car (Dont get under it without proper stands under the body) The rubber block had come adrift from the flat metal sandwich and the axle was almost hanging off. I think Kwik-Fit might give you a free inspection as a promotion but do get quotes for the actual job!
freestyle
My Cars:

Post by freestyle »

Thanks for note alf.
Seriously worrying to note this is a common
fault, a major part of the car could be potentially ready to fall off! I myself suspected a bush fault of sorts, but being underneath the car the day it was MOT'd, the mechanic who is a close friend pulled and tugged at everything as well as checking nuts and bolts. I will as you advise take it
for a professional check at a local cits dealer, however, not a Kwik Con Fitter though. Would I assume this would be a lengthy job to undertake by a mechanic??
John Lightbody
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

John
The clunking noise from the rear sounds like the sub frame mounts. I had the same problem on my old 306 that uses the same suspension system. It wasn't an expensive job for the local garage to fix (I was too busy to do it) and it's probably more of an age related issue than mileage.
Ian Cook
freestyle
My Cars:

Post by freestyle »

Ian thanks....
Will get it into a garage,(won't pretend I would or could do it myself).I still must stress that I find it concerning a car with 44k and driven carefully needs subframe mount bush's replaced,a 6 years old car, my 309 had 158k and was solid underneath. Am I still safe driving with my kids in the car??
John Lightbody
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

John
I don't think it will fall apart. Mine was clonking for about 3 or 4 months before its MOT. I think the 44K is largely irelevant - these bushes are likely to have perished and become partly unbonded in the 6 year life of the vehicle. My 306 was 7 years old when they failed, and a ZX diesel I had was still OK when I sold it at 5 years.
Ian Cook
freestyle
My Cars:

Post by freestyle »

Got bumping noise sorted was ALL 4 mounts, also had radiator replaced (leaking), advised
clutch needs replaced, and two rear brake adjusters, nice wee bill! Seriously sad news,
considering previous 309's owned never gave probs even with more than double the mileage than my ZX, as you can see by the number of posts on this forum, citreons cause their owners a lot of headaches !
John Lightbody
freestyle
My Cars:

Post by freestyle »

Got bumping noise sorted was ALL 4 mounts, also had radiator replaced (leaking), advised
clutch needs replaced, and two rear brake adjusters, nice wee bill! Seriously sad news,
considering previous 309's owned never gave probs even with more than double the mileage than my ZX, as you can see by the number of posts on this forum, citreons cause their owners a lot of headaches !
John Lightbody
freestyle
My Cars:

Post by freestyle »

John Lightbody
mpr1
My Cars:

Post by mpr1 »

After reading this thread, got a new subframe mount (C£20.00) and fitted it within an hour. Deep joy -the clunking was driving me nuts.