CITROEN BRAKES

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harry
My Cars:

CITROEN BRAKES

Post by harry »

I have a Xantia td vsx with an annoying squeal from the rear end when light to moderate pressure is applied to the brake pedal. Replaced rear and front pads LHM has been flushed out and replaced.Has anyone got a solution.
R.A.FOSTER
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Harry, pads from Halfords or the like are usualy the squealers but there are other causes like this one that affected my Xantia not long ago, I had squeeling brakes for a good while, new pads didn't cure it and I had them to bits a time or two, the discs were in good condition so I discounted them, each time I took them down and cleaned and copper greased them they would behave for a week or so and then start squealing again, so I put up with the noise for a while longer till it drove me nuts so I had it to bits yet again, this time took pads out and spun the disc and it was catching on something, after a good look realised it was the caliper scraping against it, unbolted the caliper and found a build up of corrosion on the mating surface of it that was literally levering the caliper away from the trailing arm and into contact with the disc, this came off like pieces of slate when I chipped at it, such was the build up, copper greasing the mating surface will stop this happening again, my brakes have been silent ever since.
Pitty the main dealers that changed the discs under warranty didn't do the same.
Not saying this will be what's wrong with yours but if you go looking put the pad retaining bolt back in before unbolting the caliper from the arm, or it will fall in half.
Good luck
Dave
harry
My Cars:

Post by harry »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi Harry, pads from Halfords or the like are usualy the squealers but there are other causes like this one that affected my Xantia not long ago, I had squeeling brakes for a good while, new pads didn't cure it and I had them to bits a time or two, the discs were in good condition so I discounted them, each time I took them down and cleaned and copper greased them they would behave for a week or so and then start squealing again, so I put up with the noise for a while longer till it drove me nuts so I had it to bits yet again, this time took pads out and spun the disc and it was catching on something, after a good look realised it was the caliper scraping against it, unbolted the caliper and found a build up of corrosion on the mating surface of it that was literally levering the caliper away from the trailing arm and into contact with the disc, this came off like pieces of slate when I chipped at it, such was the build up, copper greasing the mating surface will stop this happening again, my brakes have been silent ever since.
Pitty the main dealers that changed the discs under warranty didn't do the same.
Not saying this will be what's wrong with yours but if you go looking put the pad retaining bolt back in before unbolting the caliper from the arm, or it will fall in half.
Good luck
Dave

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
R.A.FOSTER
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I recently heard from a friend in Europe that they can get what he described as a shim to fit on the back of the brake pads which they claim cuts out the squealing; anyone else heard about this?
Alan S
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Alan, Xantia allready has shims on the back pad's, though they are supposed to prevent the leading edge wearing quicker causing the pads to taper.
They only cover half the piston, bottom half.
Dave
harry
My Cars:

Post by harry »

Hi all, thanks for replies. Sorted out brakes and found that cheap pads are false economy, fitted lockhead to the rear and problem solved.
R.A.FOSTER