Citroen BX Spheres (replacement)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jollyjay14
My Cars:

Citroen BX Spheres (replacement)

Post by jollyjay14 »

Can anyone tell me how to replace the spheres on a BX. Is it a job I can do myself or does it have to go to the garage?
Is it possible to fit second hand ones?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Welcome aboard mate.
Second hand spheres as such are a game of Russian Roulette. You can buy "reconditioned" or regassed spheres but in case you aren't aware, spheres may all look the same (ie) green round steel balls, but they do vary. There is a varience in capacity (400 & 500cc) pressure and damper size. Don't be put off by this, it really is quite simple and if you post the model of your car, we'll give you the specs for the spheres and show you how to check you're being sold the right ones.
Basically to fit spheres, you simply set the suspension on the lowest setting for either front or accumulator spheres and loosen the 12mm bleed screw on the accumulator. Take a chain wrench or oil filter remover & simply screw them off. The rears can be a bit more troublesome & I suggest you look at instructions as shown on "Common problems & fixes" on this forum for advice on them.
If no problems are encountered, the whole 5 spheres on a BX can be a walk in the park within 1/2 to 1 hour but be warned, the rears are the ones most likely to give problems.
Most people comment after they change their first set of spheres that they couldn't believe that a job that has cost so much in the past can be done so easily. Give it a go and post if you run into problems. We'll help where we can
Alan S
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Just done mine this weekend on a xantia, and as Alan says, its a very easy job as long as you have a good tool from removing them and follow procedure for the rears!! I think for the difference in price, buying new spheres is probably better, epecially if you fit them yourself.
So, give it a try!
Chris