ZX engine transplant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chrisk

ZX engine transplant

Post by Chrisk »

Has anybody fitted an XM 2.0 Turbo engine into a ZX? If so how easy was it and was it worth the effort? Alternatively has anybody fitted an MI16 lump from a BX? I have heard this is the better engine but would appreciate any advice before I start ripping the car apart!!
Cheers
Chris
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well, its possible, but is it worth the hassle?
Provided the ZX you wish to use for the conversion car has an XU series engine (ie 1.6/1.8/1.9/2.0 petrol or 19D/19TD) then yes, you could fit a 2.0 turbo (XU10J2TE) or BX 16v (XU9J4) as the external dimensions of the XU series engines are all the same.
But (and a big but)think of the hassle. Although you could probably bolt the 2.0 turbo donk into the ZX, think of custom fabricated exhaust downpipe (assuming theres enough room at the bulkhead), think making a custom wiring loom to match the 2.0 turbo ECU and its various sensors, then you've got the problem of trying to match driveshafts to the turbo gearbox. I'm sure that this is all possible as I know that Ecosse have converted 306's to 2.0 turbo.
In view of all the hassles, and resultant insurance premiums would'nt it be easier to go and buy a cheap ZX 16 valve? 155 bhp. There was a K reg for sale near me for £1250 not so long ago!
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

hey did u have any luck? im doing the bx 16v/mi16 conversion now as i type! and yes i have a few probs with the loom... did u overcome this? if u havent done the conversion yet, yes its simple apart from the wiring prob. u need to bang the bulkhead in a bit to fit the 8branch manifold. u also need the bend the downpipe slightly. very easy for me to do... im a welder/fabricator. u may need to drill an extra hole in the bottom mount, or push the rad forwar a bit... both work.if u dont then the inlet hits the rad. this conversion is worth doing!ive had the engine in my 205 gti and 309 gti. both were awesome cars to drive.my engine has a flowed head group a gasket and highlift cams together with a chipped ecu kn n and a modified indicater to let cold air rush in. in my pugs this engine would happily rev to 8.5 k on a long run through the gears and purred at 900 on the lights. it blew away rs turbos (one i did was 180bhp rolling roaded and another freinds was a 202 bhp tuned car) id estimate my engine pushin about 190bhp. for faster acceleration use a pug 205 1.6gti box.all these boxes and shafts r the same. each car kept its own box. the only other thing is power steering pumps r different... on my 309 i just joined the rack pipes together and did away with the pump! it worked! but the zx ill do properly! pls mail me with any hel/ questions... maybe we can help each other!thanx.tom
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

ive had more probs than i thawt i would... exhaust tunnel was a btch n needed modifying.
i put the mi16 rad in but had to split the header tank from it and relocate. i plan on putting a non pas rack in it. 99%complete just the rain holding me back now.