Another intermittant interior fan?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris Peddie

Another intermittant interior fan?

Post by Chris Peddie »

Hello all,
My interior fan (or blower motor, depending where you're from) has become intermittant again ('96 TDLX with A/C). The ignition switch, being the obvious answer was replaced not long ago when the problem last surfaced so isn't likely to be the cause. Wiggling the key doesn't help.
So, what is the next most likely answer?? Assuming I don't find a bad contact when I take it apart, I'm think that after 129k of operation the brushes on the motor might be a bit tired. Failing this it could be the air-con version of a rheostat (sp?), mounted on the fan itself. Obviously I would prefer it to be the brushes!!! (=cheap fix) The problem might also have resulted from a leaking windscreen (which will move outwards when I push from the inside - is this normal????) soaking the fan assembly in a downpour!!
Anyone have any opinions/experience on this??
Cheers,
Chris
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you have the simple version of the A/C (i.e. not ECC)then a common fault is the two drive transistors for the fan. They are darlington pairs and burn out if you are unlucky. They sit on a circuit board behind the control panel. I think Radiospares can match them.
//NiSk
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Thanks for your response, your suggestion does make sense - I do have the simple A/C version (thankfully) and it only becomes intermittant when in the auto position, if set manually it works ok!
I'll add this to my list of potential causes and check it out!
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Noticed today that the air con compressor cuts out when the fan goes off as well, and comes on again when the fan comes on again - does this happen with transistor failure??
Haven't had a chance to examine them yet!!
Chris