Xantia 1900 Td 1994

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

right_z_fred
My Cars:

Xantia 1900 Td 1994

Post by right_z_fred »

Help . Very difficult to start , gives every indication of air in the system, but I have bypassed the tank and used a gravity feed to the filter and still get the same problem . It is worse when hot than cold I would estimate it takes three times as much turning over when hot . Once started it goes like a rocket , no smoke , no loss of power , and uses no oil . Any suggestions please
Fred
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Fred, (or may I call you Right?!)
If you are still feeding the fuel through the filter it could be that which is letting air in - via the primer pump bit. Try putting a length of transparent hose between filter and fuel pump and if you have lots of bubbles thats the problem. New filter housing is quite expensive - about £60 I think. Seem to remember reading that Mondeos use the same filter and they were a regular service replacement part - and the same price from F**d dealers.
PhilW
Phil
right_z_fred
My Cars:

Post by right_z_fred »

Thanks Phil, I will give it a go and get back .
by the way , you can call me left right or centre. Cheers Fred
Fred
right_z_fred
My Cars:

Post by right_z_fred »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Thanks Phil, I will give it a go and get back .
by the way , you can call me left right or centre. Cheers Fred
Fred
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Fred
right_z_fred
My Cars:

Post by right_z_fred »

Hi phil , sorry for the delay but we are in the throes of moveing.
Tried your suggestion , actually I by-passed the filter and fed fuel direct into the pump using an inline filter but I am afraid its just the same . thanks all the same
Fred
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Right, have you checked the leakoff pipes between the injectors, air can get in here and cause the same prob's.
Crack a union and see if there is fuel there at the start of cranking.
Dave