ZX 1.9 Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Woody

ZX 1.9 Diesel

Post by Woody »

I am desperate! The car just will not start on the starter when hot or just warm. No sign of it firing. But get it rolling at walking pace and it will bump start OK. Checked the glow plugs and timer, put clear pipe between filter and injector pump - no air getting in. Fed up of parking on slopes everywhere I go. Any suggestions?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Does it settle to a good quick even tickover straight after cold starting, or does it run lumpy then also.
Is the starter turning it over fast enough, has there been any work done on the head recently.
How did you test for the glow current, all four plug's will require about 48 amps, had any new glow plug's recently.
If it bump's ok at walking speed there is fuel getting through ok, so its likely to be a preheat or a compression issue to my mind.
Dave
Woody

Post by Woody »

I had all the glow plugs out and tested them. Tickover from cold is fine. There has been no work done on the car engine. I have finally arrived at suspecting the starter motor. Could it be less efficient when warm?

Does it settle to a good quick even tickover straight after cold starting, or does it run lumpy then also.
Is the starter turning it over fast enough, has there been any work done on the head recently.
How did you test for the glow current, all four plug's will require about 48 amps, had any new glow plug's recently.
If it bump's ok at walking speed there is fuel getting through ok, so its likely to be a preheat or a compression issue to my mind.
Dave

[/quote]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Heat shouldn't have any affect on the starter motors efficiency, if there were anything amiss with the motor it would show up on cold starts.
Get the battery drop tested by an auto electrical establishment, also the alternator output should be checked.
Dave