Volcane rear axle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

volcane305

Volcane rear axle

Post by volcane305 »

I have a much loved 94 volcane td which has had a replacement rear axle fitted. The axle came from a 97 306 and was fitted by local mechanic. Car was returned looking like an allegro if anyone can remember! The ride height is far too high. Should i look for a complete replacement volcane axle? are the torsion bars on the fitted 306 axle as stiff as on the volcane if I get the ride height adjusted. Local mechanic thinks it would be extremely difficult to get the suspension set-up correct. i want to be able to go around corners again with complete impunity. New monroe shocks were also fitted.
Please help!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

You can certainly lower the rear height by adjusting the rear torsion bars, but this is a very complex job. If you do want to do it, here is a helpful link that describes the whole process.
http://www.tuning.co.uk/puglowering/lowering.htm
I'm not quite sure why the 306 rear beam was fitted, I know that they are basically identical but as you have discovered ride heights vary, as do the dampers.
A simpler plan might have been to source a ZX Volcane complete rear beam which would have given the correct height, alternatively, I'm assuming that the beam was changed to to worn arm bearings? If so, could you not have replaced the arm bearings on the arms on the original beam?
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

Hi Jon
Thanks for the help. The rear beam was replaced due to worn bearings on both sides. The rear wheels had taken to lying in at the top and rubbing against the wheel arch. The car was also unstable around corners, I think the shocks were completely goosed also.
My local mechanic who has a lot of experience with 405's said it was a better job to replace the whole thing rather than try to replace the bearings??
I have read the info on the link that you quote and feel also that it isn't an easy thing to do. Unfortunately volcane bits are difficult to find.