Xantia key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jemboyd
My Cars:

Xantia key

Post by jemboyd »

Does anyone know if its possible to repair a Xantia key? The one on the Xantia I just bought (it has ONE button, not two) is missing the rubber covering, exposing the circuit inside - perhaps someone has a bit of DIY in this regard. Spare keys of the remote type aren't available in my country. I don't know if the remote facility on mine works, although someone told me it might if I change the battery - but oh, that exposed circuit...
spanners

Post by spanners »

YES YOU CAN GET SPARE PLIP WITH THE ONE BUTTON TYPE YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE CHIP INSIDE TO A CITROEN AGENT AND THEY WILL ORDER YOU ONE. IF IT DOES WORK WITH BATTERIES YOU CAN GET A NEW CASE.
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi jemboyd
I've repaired my old single button case, a few times in the past. I used to have a 1993 Xantia LX 8v. When I bought the car the key fob was in a terrible stste, only worked sometimes, and the rubber covering the button was very worn. I repaired the circuit board with a very fine soldering iron ( dry joints ), which cured the fault. I used a bicycle patch, cut to fit, glued in place with a thin layer of normal Araldite. Leave to set for at least 24 hours. You will find a small lip that the rubber cover sits in, which helps you to mould the rubber to size. This usually lasted around 6 to 9 months depending on use. A few tips - 1. Observe the battery polarities and remove the batteries before soldering. Take care not to bridge any connections. Check and check again with a magnifying glass. DO NOT overheat the board. 2. Insert a small piece of sponge under the rubber cover before you glue the cover in place. This keeps the button 'unpressed', as it were, and pushes the rubber back up after use. Trial and error will guide you to the correct size. 3. The case takes kindly to Super glue, but you have to be confident you have got it right, since it sets so quick. 4. The best bicycle patches are the ones with the 'feathered' edges if you can get them. Hope this helps. Have fun.
jemboyd
My Cars:

Post by jemboyd »

Thank you, Lozian and Spanners, for your advice. A few questions - my batteries have already been removed - how do I know the correct polarity, and how does one get at the circuit board - I was looking at it the other day and got out the panel that the little screw holds, but no access to circuit board...
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

jemboyd,
if i recall correctly, the barrries are placed on the circuit board negtive side down (-), postive side up (+).
i know on my two button key fob, the circuit board just pulls out, i would guess that it does the same on the single button fob.
hope this is on some help
dom
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

I would agree with jemboyd as regards battery polarity. Positive (+) side up, that is with the spring pushing down on the + side, and the negative side (-) down. Both batteries are orientated the same way, one on top of the other, if you have two. Circuit board just pulls out after you get the end off and after removal of small screw. Take care that LED lines up with hole, when you then push circuit board back in.
Edited by - lozian on 10 Sep 2002 18:45:11
spanners

Post by spanners »

THE CIRCUIT BOARD MAY BE STIFF BUT WITH HELP WILL COME OUT I WILL LOOK FOR PART NO OF CASE IN CITROEN'S CIRCULARS. THEY ARE ABOUT £3 YOU WILL ALSO NEED A PIN KIT FOR THE BLADE
Edited by - spanners on 11 Sep 2002 21:39:25