boost gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walshy
My Cars:

boost gauge

Post by walshy »

where can you buy a boost gauge for a 1994 xanta 19td? and how / where do you fit it?
pete
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Boost gauge's available here http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.u ... /home.html
All you need is a simple 8mm hose barbed Tee piece to splice into the small rubber charge sensing pipe going to the diaphragm housing on the top of the injection pump.
Best to phone and state your requirement's.
Dave
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Talking of measuring the boost, how do you increase it? Do you adjust the threaded bar length on the dump valve? Or is it simply left alone.
Gareth
andyg

Post by andyg »

Hi Dave, i assume you mean the pump to intercooler pipe, on my ZXTD - that pipe has black oil inside, is that a sign that the turbo oil seals have failed?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Andy there is always going to be black oil getting in to that pipe from the intercooler, most of it get's there from the crankcase breather as it is piped to the intake, it merely goes through the turbo and up to the intercooler.
When the seal's fail on a turbo it usually affect both sides of it, so there would be blue smoke from the oil getting into the exhaust.
Had a look at the same pipe on my ZX and there was oil there, decided to see how much if any had got into the diaphragm housing, and there was plenty, though I wasn't expecting to see so much I'm not bothered by it.
In another post I mentioned that the rubber diaphragm might suffer if it go oil on it, this is obviously not the case and it has been manufactured to take account of this.
Gareth it's not a dump valve it's called a waste gate, it work's by directing exhaust gas away from the turbine as the boost pressure is reached, preventing it spinning any faster.
Be carefull about adjusting it because to generate more boost the turbo has to spin faster, shaft overspeed can and does lead to total failure of the turbo, thas bin warned.
Dave
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Dave I knew it was called a wastegate, but could I remember that yesterday!! Cheers for the advice, best left alone then! Cheers
Gareth
buddster

Post by buddster »

I've been looking at getting some oil temp and oil pressure gauges. Which are the best type to get as there seems to be the electric and capillary type?
Cheers.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Electric for both for ease of fitting but capillary for the pressure should be nore accurate depending on the quality of the gauge.
Dave
buddster

Post by buddster »

I assume that I can replace the standard oil pressure warning light switch (located at front of cylinder block above oil filter housing) with a new oil pressure gauge sensor (and by fitting a t-piece adapter I'll be able to retain the fuction of the light, right?) but where would I locate the oil temperature sensor?
Cheers.
russellfowden
My Cars:

Post by russellfowden »

I've installed a boost gauge and got the rubber pipe through to the engine bay, however I'm struggling to identify the charge sensing pipe on my (bosch type) fuel pump. There's nothing in the Haynes manual about which pipe this is. Can anybody who knows lead me to it?
Cheers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Look at your intercooler - there is probably only pipe about 8 mm coming off it - thats the one - and you should be able to follow it to the pump.
Don't know what car you have - if its a BX its right in the front of the intercooler (on top of engine)
Jeremy
russellfowden
My Cars:

Post by russellfowden »

Nice one, had spoken to somebody else actually just after I posted this and he knew where it was - found it, chopped it, spliced in a T piece and gauge now works.
Was a ZX TD with Bosch pump.
Cheers.