ZX td coolant leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX td coolant leak

Post by Dave1 »

Hi,
After recently changing anti freeze I have just noticed it has managed to find it's way past the the gasket between the sump and the block. As you look from the front of the car it is seeping front r/hand side. Whilst taking the sump off is not nec. difficult, it does mean messing around under the car on stands etc. fo me. My question is if it is getting out, is it getting in? Would it be worth trying a "stop leak" liquid initally?
Waiting in anticipation,
Dave
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It's not the sump gasket cos the only fluid in there is engine oil, the leak will be higher up and be merely running down past the sump.
The water pump is the likely culprit, can also be the rubber water pipe's where they connect to metal, the metal can corrode badly at these points.
When fresh anti-freez is installed it can lead to leak's a plenty, it's very searching stuff and Iv'e suffered the same in the past, any weakness in the system is soon found by new anti-freez, and especially so when the type or brand is changed.
A more thorough examination is required to pinpoint the source of the leak, and may require the removal of the plastic timing cover to examine the pump.
Dave
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Thanks Dave,
I'm just watching the grand prix and sat here wondering how water can get there. The good news is that so far the oil appears water free. I cleaned the area yesterday but have not driven yet. I will have a good look this afternoon. When I eventually find the source I post it.
Thanks again
Dave
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Found the leak,
It is blowing back from a pipe in front. Didn't really get much chance to look at it yesterday. Thinking the worst and just cleaned it until today. Bl**dy glad thats all it is though. Phew!