Xantia Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hardmanm

Xantia Spheres

Post by hardmanm »

Has anyone any experience of fitting softer than standard spheres to a Xantia? I have a 2.1TD which is pretty firm and getting a bit bouncy at the moment, I'm sure the spheres are getting past it but I am just curious about fitting softer ones when I replace them.
I have heard of this being done on XMs.
Mark
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Mark,
I'm always a bit "iffy" about playing around with these kind of things. My theory, rightly or wrongly has always been that the designers & engineers with the degrees & letters after their names, multi million dollar computers & back up staff had a bit better idea than me standing there in a pair of greasy overalls with a 12" shifter in the back pocket & hammer in the hand.
I had a real close call a while back where I managed to get a BX 16 valve side on at around 120 kph avoiding a driver who had fallen asleep at the wheel. I have maintained since then that had I been driving a car with softer spheres, I would have upended the whole works.
Whilst I understand the desire for the ultimate in comfort, I feel that in a Citroen it is only a marginal thing which would go unnoticed after the first 100 miles. Conversely, placed in an emergency situation, is it worth the risk of having a car perform unpredictably if the need arises.
It probably all depends on your style & type of driving to assess the risk factors and/or benefits.
Alan S
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

Thanks for the advice, I do see your point
So far I've only experienced an XM with softer spheres fitted, and they have the active suspension which kicks in when cornering anyway. Maybe it's not such a bad idea on the active suspension cits?
I'm minded to leave the Xantia alone, after all it was fine before the current spheres deteriorated
MArk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Mark - Go ahead and replace them. I did my three and a half year old 2.1TD Estate recently and the difference in ride is amazing. Make sure you get the correct spheres! The ones they gave me had to go back for exchange