Squealy Wheel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Squealy Wheel

Post by MW »

Hope somebody can confirm my suspicions. I'm off on my holidays next week, so time's a bit short. Does this sound like a shot wheel bearing to you, or are there other things it could be?
I'm getting an intermittent squeal from the front nearside on my Xantia (1.8i, non-ABS). It's pretty piercing, especially when I'm turning very gently to the right rather than driving straight ahead. A touch on either the brake pedal or the handbrake quietens it until the next time I turn a right-hand corner, then it starts again. Brake pads and discs are in good shape.
I expect to turn quite a lot of right-hand corners on my holiday!
Thanks
M
Mike
andyturner
My Cars:

Post by andyturner »

No it is not a shot wheel bearing. My Xantia has been doing the same for the last year. I have inspected the brakes and removed any loose rust etc. but still no good. Problem is intermittant.
apt
Gaz
My Cars:

Post by Gaz »

It could be that your handbrake is pulling on the calliper when you're turning, make sure there is plenty of slack and that the routing of the cable is clear. (try also; the usual copper-ease on back of pads to reduce squeal)
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Just an update, fellers. I've just had the car back from the garage (no time/inclination to do it myself) - and guess what? EVERYBODY was right.
The squeal while turning gently right was indeed a shot wheel bearing on the nearside front. It wasn't loose, but it was obviously loose enough to be making a row.
However, there was also some sticktion in the brake caliper and a bit of binding on one pad. Freed up, new pads, problem sorted.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. Holidays, here we come!
Mike
peep

Post by peep »

lol in other words the garage just worked your calliper to stop it binding & you probs had some fouling on the pad - and they charged you for a wheel bearing!!!!
Wheel beraings dont 'squeak or squeel' they rumble!
You were ripped off.

Post by 504 »

Forum does it again, this was the exact symptom I had last night on my mechanically similar 205. In a straight line perfect, but slight movement of the steering and a squeek.

I found in my case, the advice above that wheel bearings dont squeek was spot on. The CV boot somehow had imploded like a vacuum and the grease had come out. Snipped off the cable tie let the air in, put more grease in and its just fine again.

So far every little job Ive needed to do is here in the forum!