Pressure in system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy
My Cars:

Pressure in system

Post by Andy »

Hi
I checked my water levels recently and found slight pressure in header tank, I since checked pressure in top hose with engine running and after travelling about 100 miles the hose felt quite firm, when I loosen the cap the hose goes soft again. There is no discolouring of the water, the car starts and runs well, without any loss of water.
Could I have a faulty radiater cap or is it likely that the head is on its way out. Are there any tests i can do to find out.
Thanks
Andy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Andy - Are you sure that you're not looking for a fault that isn't there. When the engine is up to temperature there IS pressure under the cap, hence the warning to remove the cap slowly when it's hot. Of course, if you have an excess of pressure, it may be that the cap is faulty. Only by replacing it can you tell. From what you say, it doesn't sound as though the headgasket has gone.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi
I checked my water levels recently and found slight pressure in header tank, I since checked pressure in top hose with engine running and after travelling about 100 miles the hose felt quite firm, when I loosen the cap the hose goes soft again. There is no discolouring of the water, the car starts and runs well, without any loss of water.
Could I have a faulty radiater cap or is it likely that the head is on its way out. Are there any tests i can do to find out.
Thanks
Andy

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>I am so glad you asked that question, I have the same problem with my ZX TD, I have found the top hose still rock hard after a night sitting out the front of the house Releasing the pressure with the radiator cap, revealed an expansion tank filled to the correct level and no signs of any problems. The hose went soft. Like Dave said I think its just normal.
Gareth
Andy
My Cars:

Post by Andy »

Well 30K later and engine stillrunning well.
I guess this must be normal[8D]