ZX td Volcane exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX td Volcane exhaust

Post by Dave1 »

Driving home last night and the exhaust broke clean in half. Rang around this morning for parts and can get down pipe for nominal amount. However the rear box is somewhat "pricy" at Citroen, £140+vat! Has anyone replaced this box with a non Citroen make which looks just the same from the back. IE, has the same looking stainless steel finish and shape rather than chrome or some other style. Fortunately I do not need to replace that part but should I need to in the futur I have found today that no one can particularly guarantee what the tail peice will look like. Prices are a lot less at anything from £60-80 but one does like the right "look".
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The pipe leading into the rear box on my 2.1TD Xantia rusted through in less than three years from new. GS&F supplied a replacement for around £55.
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

Yes the rear box on my 2.1 TD fell off at exactly 3 years old too, with a loud bang! Sounds like a design flaw - I wonder if it's related to the presence of the catalyst upstream?
Jon

Post by Jon »

We sell the correct "shape" rear box for the Volcane TD, that is the large cut off rectangle silencer, for want of a better phrase. The tailpipe is the correct oval, but will be chrome.
There are other aftermarket alternatives out there, but beware if the silencer box is the conventional oval shape, in my experience this leads to excessive back pressure, whistling turbo and poor performance.
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
Edited by - jon on 20 May 2002 11:17:54
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Hi Jon,
Thanks for replying. I will certainly consider the one you mention should I need one. I was unaware of the "oval shape" issue so that is obviously an important thing to bear in mind. Right now the exhaust is working beautifully and hopefully will stay that way for another 5 years+!
Here's hoping,
Dave