Which towbar do I need?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robbie

Which towbar do I need?

Post by Robbie »

I have a Xantia 98 (new shape) and the sales adverts at towsure say 93 to 98 £48.50 and 93 onwards £75.95 what's the difference between the two anyway?
Robbie
Gavin1

Post by Gavin1 »

Not sure of this so don't quote me - but it mayhave something to do with European Approval of somesort, I think all tow bars fitted to cars manufactured after '98 have to have approved tow bars fitted by law. This would explain why one is more expensive than the other and why the cheap one is only for cars up to '98 but the expensive (approved one) is for all Xantias.
I have just bought a towsure £48 ounds one for my 95 Xantia - and quality wise it seems fine.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Gavin has described the latest law to come out of Europe perfectly. All towbars now have to have EU approval and those which have are marked in Towsure's catalogue with a small 'e'. Probably the only difference between the old designs and the new will be the increased price. I have fitted their towbars to my vehicles since 1965, and I couldn't fault them.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Thanks for your help, another question, how difficult are they to fit, is there much drilling to do, do you get all parts that you need like bolts and things and can you do it by driving the car up wheel ramps or do you have to lift the whole car up?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I've just been reading a bit more info about fitting tow bars at Towsure's website, it seems the new laws came in for the first of August 98 as my Xantia is January 98 so I guess I'm alright with the cheaper of the two towbars but I did read that when fitting the cheaper of the two you have to cut into the bumper, it doesn't mention this about the other one, is this true you have to cut lumps out of your bumper.
Robbie.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Robbie - If you have a pair of ramps, you should manage fine on those. The kit comes with every thing you need down to the last washer, and also with instructions detailing the position of every bolt. Mine was fitted to a Xantia estate and I certainly didn't have to cut the bumper, or even remove it. To give working space, it's better to remove the spare wheel. As far as I remember I seem to recall having to do a little bit of drilling, but not much. If there is, precise measurements are given on the sheet. As you say, the cheaper version should be OK for you.