Noisy DIRAVI on my '82 Cx Gti2400

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

velvet

Noisy DIRAVI on my '82 Cx Gti2400

Post by velvet »

Hi everybody! I have a problem with the DIRAVI of my CX 2400GTI (1982).It makes the sound of an old door without oil (geeeeeek) when I turn left or right( but not always.). I have changed " lhm " and cleaned up the filter, but nothing changed.It seems the noise comes from the inner part of Diravi (near the steering wheel). Citroen service said me to change the complete DIRAVI ...aaaagh!
Any suggestion?? I think i'm in serious troubles...
Thank you
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Not just ball joints on the steering dry & making the binding noises by any chance?
I have found that on BX's a lot of creaks & groans from the front end eminate from ball joints contaminated with moisture are the cause of a lot & can be removed quite simply & cheaply. These can easily transmit through steering rods and sway bars and can have you looking in one spot whilst the noise is coming from another.
If the noise seems to be coming from near the steering wheel, it would more likely to be coming from the actual steering box at the firewall rather than the steering mechanism itself. Have you thought of
having someone else probe around the various steering components with a mechanics stethascope whilst you turn the wheel to & fro?
It's going to be a case of trial & error but by the same token, a noise like that rarely needs an entire system to be replaced as it is usually a dry bush or bearing requiring cleaning & greasing.
Alan S
velvet

Post by velvet »

Thank you for the answer,Alan.
I will check again all the components of steering system, but the I think the problem is "in" the Diravi box. Also for Citroen mechanics it seems to be an unidentified object. Nobody knows its inside and the way in which it works. I have some technical descriptions from a Citroen manual, but everybody at Citroen service says "Diravi never brakes off,I have never repaired one". Is this the first time all over the world??
Velvet