Handbrake stuck, car not moving!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alicarmichael
My Cars:

Handbrake stuck, car not moving!!

Post by alicarmichael »

Having not touched my Citroen ZX Avantage 1.4 for a number of months, I have come back to it and am unable to release the handbrake. The handle moves and is very loose but the brake is jammed and I can't move the car. Can anyone please advise how I might get out of this sticky situation?
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

Try Jacking the car up removing the rear wheels & gently tap around the rear drums with a hammer.It sounds as if the brake shoes have siezed onto the drum.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

And give the cables a good yank back and forth just in front of the rear wheels, if none of these works you will have to poke a screwdriver through a bolt hole and push the operating lever backwards inside the drum providing the wheel has stopped with a bolt at the 20 past and 20 to positions for left and right sides respectively, be carefull not to damage the threads in the brake drum if it comes to this and chock the wheels to stop the car moving if the brake lets go.
Best of luck
Dave
woodhead722

Post by woodhead722 »

Try driving back/forward/back /forward mildly, but quickly with the change of direction. This together with yanking the handbrake off & on may suceed in suddenly releasing the brake.
I had success with a micra that was hill parked for a few months.
Hope it works for you !