Xantia 19TD engine problem's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Burns
My Cars:

Xantia 19TD engine problem's

Post by Dave Burns »

Hello all
I have a 1.9TD Xantia (1998), if I start it and switch it off again the engine will not stop, the engine note changes and the diesel knock becomes slightly louder with a more metalic like sound, after the engine has been running for at least two minutes it will then switch off as normal, the fuel injection pump on this model has the security (imobiliser) type fuel cut off solenoid with 4 wires going to it, also when starting from cold it runs a bit erratic for a short while, I dont know if this could be the heater plugs at fault, I've had diesel cars now for the past 12 year's either Peugeot or citroen and when the heater plugs went down in previouse car's it merely resulted in a missfire untill it warmed up a bit but this Xantia puts out a good bit of smoke, missfires a bit and seems to rev and die for a short while maybe 10 or 20 seconds the colder the weather the worse it is untill it settles down, after that it runs nice and smooth allbeit down on power, the exhaust does not smell like a usual diesel either, the smell is sharp and acrid, If any of this means anything to anyone I would be gratefull for your help.
Thank's for reading this far.
Dave Burns
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Dave - I would start by checking the solenoid. It sounds as though it's reluctant to perform.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi John
Checking solenoid on this pump not easey, tamperproof fixing's (shear head bolt's) like those found on a steering column lock, wish it was the same as my earlier Xantia that was a simple bog standard non turbo with no creature comfort's but it was nicer to drive and had a much softer ride. If car manufacturer's are going to make their cars ever more complicated from an electrical point of view then they (and especially Citroen) need to improve the quality and workmanship of these components because at the moment Citroen's absolutely stink in this area, out of the five people at my place of work who own Xantia's three have air bag warning light problem's, two have engine electrical problem's, and one has air con trouble, that speak's volumes to me about quality, my earlier car had no such fault's simply because it was a base model and had no gizmoes on it to go wrong.
Dave Burns
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Dave - Couldn't agree more. I've been running diesels now for more than twenty years and long for the simple designs of earlier days. Modern electronic injection terrifies me. - John