ZX - Loss of performance since belt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

awt41

ZX - Loss of performance since belt change

Post by awt41 »

I recently had the timing belt replaced on my ZX 1.9D and since then have noticed that the engine seems noisier than before and also slower picking up, although once on the open road the performance is good. Could this be due to the belt tension not being correct? and if so how is the correct tension set?
Thanks
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The tension is by automatic adjustment. It sounds as though one of the sprockets is one or two teeth out. Several years ago I fitted a belt on my BX and did the same thing. The engine sounded awful. I should get it checked again.
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

The timing could well be out by one tooth or so. Relative to the crankshaft, it could be the camshaft or the fuel injection pump. If you're a reasonably competent mechanic it's not too difficult to check - basically involving removal of the belt cover and some very careful checks of alignment. Get your self a Haynes manual. If you are not confident, trot it back to the garage for them to check it.
Ian Cook
awt41

Post by awt41 »

Thanks for your comments, after running the car a few days I'm now not sure that it is in fact a problem with the timing because the fault is intermittant. It seems to occur mostly after the engine is well warmed up and sounds as if it's running on 3 cylinders......
Edited by - awt41 on 14 May 2001 20:54:34
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

i had an intermittent prob like this on my astra gte... it was in fact the timing out by 1 tooth. could also b a poor lead arcing out?
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

If the tensioner did not tension the belt correctly and its too slack, it may well make a horrible noise from the valve train, because basically the camshaft will be allowed to flap backwards and forwards. I had this happen once on a Ford CVH engine and once re-tensioned ran perfectly, it was just operator error on that occasion!
Obviously it won't be a plug lead on a diesel!!