Xantia 'clonking' noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul
My Cars:

Xantia 'clonking' noise

Post by Paul »

My 1996 Xantia 1.9TD VSX estate makes makes a clonking noise when going over bumps at low to medium speeds which seems to be getting slowly worse. I've had a good look around the suspension and exhaust fixings and can't find anything loose but there seems to be a slight fluid weep from the RHF suspension strut (though not enough to cause noticable loss of fluid). The car still steers as well as it ever did. Anyone got any ideas? Thnaks.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Paul,
Go to "Common Faults & Fixes" on this forum & you will find a couple of suggestions on what causes this on a BX. May be some help to you when you go searching for the cause.
Alan S
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
My 1996 Xantia 1.9TD VSX estate makes makes a clonking noise when going over bumps at low to medium speeds which seems to be getting slowly worse. I've had a good look around the suspension and exhaust fixings and can't find anything loose but there seems to be a slight fluid weep from the RHF suspension strut (though not enough to cause noticable loss of fluid). The car still steers as well as it ever did. Anyone got any ideas? Thnaks.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Paul,
Go to "Common Faults & Fixes" on this forum & you will find a couple of suggestions on what causes this on a BX. May be some help to you when you go searching for the cause.
Alan S
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
Paul
My Cars:

Post by Paul »

Paul
My Cars:

Post by Paul »

I have traced the problem to the lower bearings on the anti-roll bar drop links. I put the front wheels on ramps and listened for noises with a piece of tube while a heavy weight friend bounced the car up and down. Once I knew roughly where to look I could feel the small amount of play. New drop links have sorted things out.