Xantia Headlights Poor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alf
My Cars:

Xantia Headlights Poor

Post by alf »

1994 LX 1.9TD. Headlights pretty useless, Anyone with similar problems and fixes please?
andy hannett
My Cars:

Post by andy hannett »

had a 1993 SX TD and the lights were crap, had to drive round woth the fog lights on all the time.
I eventually bought xenon bulbs which are considerably brighter than the standard ones but are a tenner a piece or thereabouts (well they are from halfords). this sorted the problem in a fashion, in that I could see at night without resorting to fog lights or beam.
it would appear that the small vertical height of the lights plays a part in this in some way.
one posibility for your problem could be that the reflectors are tarnished due to age. stand at the front of the car and look at the silvered backing to the lights, if this is tarnished, try replacement
MC & HNY
Andy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Have a shufty at this Alf.
http://www.powerbulbs.com
MC and a HNY
Dave
alf
My Cars:

Post by alf »

Thanks for your help guys, the powerbulb site seems the biz.
Seasons greetings.
iancook2000
My Cars:

Post by iancook2000 »

Brighter bulbs may help, but the problem is really due to the design of the earlier headlights. I had a 94 TD and they were useleass on dipped beam.
I now have a 99 HDi and the dipped beams are a huge improvement. I notice from Andyspares' parts list that the later ones are priced significantly higher - but it may be worth replacing yours with later ones. It would certainly be safer!
Ian
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
1994 LX 1.9TD. Headlights pretty useless, Anyone with similar problems and fixes please?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
i have 93 td lx i have several ideas/fixes for this common problem (bad light pattern on dip beam )
1 remove head light unit(s) disassemble and wash lens/reflectors in washing up liquid DO NOT touch reflectors with fingers or cloth just swill in washing up liquid and rinse with clean water drip dry then gentle use hair dryer. lens clean/scrub then dry with cloth reasseble Make sure bulb access panel is tightly fitted (this is where muck gets in )
2 fit xenon bulbs ( i have and i am still not happy with light output) fit a rallye bulb i.e a 100watt h1 bulb (these are not road legal) i am about to try this
3 my o/s headlight bottom lug is broken and lens is tarnished so once i have got a replacement i had a spare light to play with
this is my idea
main beam seems ok dip is crap reflectors roughly same size, apart from dipped has a sheild this seems too deep (maybe shields to much of bulb ) it looks removeable so i am gonna remove and clean and polish inside of it -if this improves i will let u know if not i may reduce it in size by up to half will let you all know once i have done it maybe someone with access to early / late xantia's could compare size of sheild ( i understand late xantia headlights are bonded on lens) to see if they are different in size?
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
[quote]

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
i have fitted the 100watt h1 headlight bulbs to cleaned headlights(inside and out).
Now on dipped beam i can actually see a light pattern on road !they are better!
still standard 55watt main
still gonna try shield cut down will let u know how it goes
h1 100w bulbs cost me £3.99 inc vat each at local motor factors dont pay £9.99 at Halfords or simular shops