Xantia rattle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brendan McC
My Cars:

Xantia rattle

Post by Brendan McC »

I have a Xantia VSX 2.0i 1996 (since new). There is an irritating rattle which seems to be related to the rear suspension, more left than right. 2 front and 2 back spheres were replaced by my Citroen garage 6 months ago which rectified my bouncing problems. The ride is also quite hard and almost seems to 'bottom' on moderately rough surfaces. Could this be due to loss of gas pressure and can the gas pressure be checked in spheres? Any observations welcome. Regarding the rattle the garage has made a pretty thorough check and, while acknowledging it is there, cannot diagnose the cause. I drive mostly in the 'sport' setting although the normal mode makes no difference.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Yes gas presure might be checked in Cit garage!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Have you checked the rear arm bearings for wear. Put the suspension high, stand at the rear of the car and look at the wheels. If they are like this: /-----\ then you can be sure that you have found the cause of the rattle.
Brendan McC
My Cars:

Post by Brendan McC »

Thanks Aleksandar and John for replies. I am not a DIY man but have checked as you suggest John. There is a slight /-\. Could you tell me exactly what the bearings are called and I'll get a mechanic friend of mine to check further.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you have /---\ wheels, what you want are the rear arm bearings replaced. A/S do a kit which works out at about £25 per side. It isn't advisable to leave them too long since the arms can be damaged beyond bearing replacement. If you intend to keep the car for a long time, it's worth having a grease nipple fitted.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

It does look as if your arm bearings are on thier way out. Not a difficult job if you are careful and methodical. Plenty of info on here.
I have a rattle from the rear caused by the following..
1) The panel on the inside of the boot lid ( for access to lights ) comes loose - fixing this weekend.
2) The exhaust rear mounting bracket is loose. It's secured to the back of the body behind the bumper. This tends to rattle on speed bumps.
May be worth checking those as well ( give the exhaust a good shake when cold )