Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by MattBLancs »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 08:12 POTD Through the Keyhole.
...through keyholes...

Still they came up with a solution for that tricky problem, now known as a "period feature".

Neil
Now there's a lovely word for that thing-a-me
Spoiler: show
escutcheon
I do like these really specific things that have their own name. Any sensible universe it'd just be "key hole flap", but no, no it's got a name all if its own! :-D
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Post by MattBLancs »

Peter.N. wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 20:20 If you really want a picture of today - this is the best I can do. This years tomato plants :-D
For educational purposes, these are currently growing in our kitchen...
Tops
Tops
And a close up
Biggest of "the crop" at present
Biggest of "the crop" at present
:-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Peter.N. wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 20:20 If you really want a picture of today - this is the best I can do. This years tomato plants :-D
I have a few things growing from seed, poppies, lavatera, pentsemon, primroses, other odds and sods.
There seem to be fruit flies coming from the compost. Commercial compost but unsurprising as my compost bin is full of them.
I heard that Basil is disliked by them. Bought Basil seeds that are also growing but found a potted Basil plant in Lidl and bought it. It was a bit of a disaster and almost died but a bit of care and attention has revived it.
I noticed a couple of days ago that the leaves were covered in fruit flies. So much for that advice then, fawlty basil.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

myglaren wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 20:50 ....
There seem to be fruit flies coming from the compost. Commercial compost but unsurprising as my compost bin is full of them.
I heard that
Basil is disliked by them
. ...
I noticed a couple of days ago that the leaves were covered in fruit flies. So much for that advice then, fawlty basil.
Sorry, I cannot help but segway from that to
the Basil who dislikes 1300's! Obviously
:rofl2:
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

POTD Today's contribution stimulator for 10

To paraphrase Star Trekkin' the song

"They are Goosanders Jim, the king and queen of Ducks, but not as we know them"
goosanders.jpg
Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 27 Mar 2024, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

We keep a small tub on the kitchen worktop as a temporary depositary for green waste, mainly teabags, and I got a surprise when I went to drop my elevenses tea dregs in it: :-D
SWMBO's doing I'm sure!
SWMBO's doing I'm sure!
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 01 Apr 2024, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

POTD Ship Club

There is something unusual about this ship
Trivia Investigation Thread
viewtopic.php?p=795131#p795131
Port of Blyth Northumberland
Port of Blyth Northumberland
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Across the river at the Port of Blyth is The Horizon Enabler which flies under the "Flag of Convenience" of Barbados, home port Bridgetown, in contrast to the GEO Ocean IV flying the Flag of Luxembourg and the apparent incongruence with Luxembourg being a land locked Country. The trivia information thread has some additional info on that here

viewtopic.php?p=795144#p795144

POTD Ship of the Day No 2
Horizon Enabler<br />Bridgetown<br />Barbados<br />Port of Blyth Northumberland 27th March 2024
Horizon Enabler
Bridgetown
Barbados
Port of Blyth Northumberland 27th March 2024
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

If you are a viewer of POTD but haven't yet taken the plunge and posted up your debut picture, yesterday was the best time. Today is the second best time, and tomorrow....

No photographic excellence required. :-D

Here's a bit of abstract art as today's stimulation, for debutants, dormant occasional posters and regular contributors alike. A starter to get POTD off a blank page for today.

for the purposes to reference for enlargement only
ships ladder.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Best I can do... A lasagne just out of the oven...
20240327_103445.jpg
Cooked fully from scratch and vegetarian...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

The Good Friday Deer

I always like to see a deer on a good Friday, so i made this happen this morning. It's a symbolic link to good Fridays of my childhood, and the comforting tradition of that day which always concluded after tea, with a walk around the woods with my Grandpa and most times a sighting of a deer or a group of deer on our walk.
DSC06400 (2).JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's lovely Neil :-D No deer spotting for me today during my morning run but I did get wet and muddy and saw a few water fowl, ducks in the main...

It was quiet on the common and in the meadow but I had my shadow for company... A gorgeous morning here 8-)
20240329_064320.jpg
20240329_065315.jpg
Slightly less wet and soggy than expected given the biblical amounts of rain that's fallen recently...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Always like a bit of shadow art Jim, excellent.

POTD Know your Ducks

While elevating the Goosander to the heights of the World's best Duck, A local speciality of Northumberland is not far behind. The Eider Duck or "Cuddy's Duck", with a colony on the Farne islands and regularly seen floating around Blyth Quayside as in this picture.

Unknown to me before looking it up, it is both the UK's Heaviest Duck, and at the same time the fastest flying reputedly being able to get up to 70mph. Impressive. Added to that these birds were the subject of one of the first ever bird protection laws, established by Saint Cuthbert in the year 676. Then there is the famous eiderdown with which they line their nests used to make bed quilts filled with down before the "continental quilt" arrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_eider
Falcon original March Eider<br />Blyth Quayside
Falcon original March Eider
Blyth Quayside
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That's one seriously quick duck Neil... I must confess I rather like ducks :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I spy a 24 month rapidly coming to a close

Thread is here to mop up your spottings.
If I had a 24 I also would look for a parking space like this
DSC06404 (2).JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey