RT4 replaced - "Software incompatible"

This unit is the RT4 and RT5 system and is made by Magneti Marelli
Main differences between RT4 & RT5 - RT5 has Bluetooth Hands Free, faster Navigation calculation and on C4 & C4 Picasso only, USB ports and a High-Res screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

chris85
My Cars: Citroen C6

RT4 replaced - "Software incompatible"

Post by chris85 »

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and hope you can maybe help… I am from Germany (so excuse my poor English) and have some issues with a Citroen C6 and the radio RT4 (Magneti Marelli). The original RT4 was broken and now replaced by another working version – the software/firmware on this one is 8.31 (the newest one available). I am unable to tell what version the old radio had on it. Within the next days a Citroen workshop will also program the VIN to the “new” radio.

Once the RT4 is powered, the display shows a message like “Software version incompatible. Please insert configuration CD” (translated from German into English, so maybe the real English output would look different). Does anybody know what CD is needed? Since I don’t have any software for the car, I am not sure what exactly is needed to get rid of this message.

The unit is working fine so far, but the message will always pop up on the start. Maybe someone can help, thanks for taking the time.

Kindest regards
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: RT4 replaced - "Software incompatible"

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Chris, I've moved this to the RT4 Sub-Forum.

I'll need to check which system your vehicle originally had, as it could of been an RT3, RT4 or RT5. These have different software, so will not be compatible if you have replaced it with a different unit.

Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff and I'll check. Ideally a picture of the label of the replacement unit will also help to determine what the new unit is v what was originally on the vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
chris85

Post by chris85 »

Thanks for your reply!

I will add pictures of both labels - the one from the defective (old) unit and the one from the replacement (they are almost identical). And I know, it says RT3, but it's definitely the RT4 (built-in HDD and it was also confirmed by Citroen).

VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

And thanks for your help!!!
Attachments
Replacement unit
Replacement unit
Old defective unit
Old defective unit
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, I think the mystery is solved. It is very likely that one of the units has a different firmware version installed, so there is a conflict when the unit is hooked up.

You need to get the software CD and insert it so that it can update the unit to the firmware expected. Be aware though, that the replacement unit will be from a vehicle that may have different options to your vehicle and therefore may be differently configured.

When they VIN code the unit for you, make sure they check the BSI / RT4 unit is correctly configured with your vehicle options at the same time.. For example see my thread here:

viewtopic.php?p=599847#p599847

If they do this in internet-connected mode, then this should ensure the correct configuration based on the factory-fitted equipment you have (when the car was new).

Marc
chris85

Post by chris85 »

Okay, but I don't know which firmware version the unit is expecting... :-D The old unit is defective and I can't find out the firmware version of it. The "new" one has the version 8.31... so if this is a firmware issue, I would need to perform some kind of downgrade (since 8.31 is the latest version). And as far as I understand, a downgrade of the firmware isn't possible.

So, any idea how to find out the version that is needed and how to get it on the unit itself then? :? Or are the guys at Citroen able to check the correct version I need? I am really confused...

(Thanks for the info regarding the vehicle options as well! Will let them know.)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you're misunderstanding me. If the new unit has V8.31, then it has likely caused some conflict with the BSI when you connected the new unit. All you should need to do is get the dealer to order in a copy of the 8.31 Firmware CD ahead of your visit when you take it in. The part is 9679242580 for version 8.31 and costs only £10.43 UK inc. VAT.

Then you can keep this with you for future as it may be required in any case if you later want to change language or voice gender for the unit etc.

Once the CD is inserted, it should correct or replace any missing files or upgrade the unit if needed. Just make sure the unit is correctly configured by service afterwards to make sure everything is working correctly and all factory options are present on the vehicle and working via the Head Unit.

Marc
chris85

Post by chris85 »

Thanks for the explanation... I just ordered the CD and hope it'll work. I will let the service also check the correct configuration. Thanks for your help so far!
chris85

Post by chris85 »

Short update: the message "Software version incompatible. Please insert configuration CD” is gone now - the 8.31 update CD got rid of it. Thanks! :) (the VIN was not yet changed, but will be soon)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great thanks for the update Chris, glad you have it sorted.

Marc