OEM radio compatibility (Peugeot 307 (2004))

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

PG307
My Cars: Peugeot 307

OEM radio compatibility (Peugeot 307 (2004))

Post by PG307 »

I want to retrofit an OEM radio into my (Peugeot 307 break (2004)). Is there a list of compatible OEM radios that work in a 307 (2004)? Can I upgrade to a RD 45 with new screen or im I stuck with RD3? Do I need a harness adapter?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: OEM radio compatibility (Peugeot 307 (2004))

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It will likely depend on your vehicle electrical architecture as to which later units you can fit on a car of this year as the RD45 wasn't even out back then.

If you provide your VIN I can see which architecture you have. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PG307

Post by PG307 »

The Vin is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you have an older CAN VAN multiplexed system, so I doubt anything too modern will work as the Head units interface with the screen and the BSI for other functions - which may cause issues. I can't advise you on this as it wasn't an option at the time.

Marc
PG307

Post by PG307 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 14 Aug 2023, 16:17 Ok, so you have an older CAN VAN multiplexed system, so I doubt anything too modern will work as the Head units interface with the screen and the BSI for other functions - which may cause issues. I can't advise you on this as it wasn't an option at the time.
What is an CAN VAN system? Is this a precursor to the CANBUS system? Do you by any chance know what 12V connector was used for the active radio antenna (it looks like this https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... ipo=images)?

Thanks for the info Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Most vehicles of this age are all multiplexed, but the requirements and improvements of this technology and the protocols used developed over the years. Multiplexing reduces the amount of wiring needed in the vehicle, as coded signals are sent over 2 wires to the various ECUs in code with a master ECU at one end and another at the other. The ECUs along the route can then determine which messages are meant for them and which to ignore. The same goes when they send their data across the network.

CAN: Controller Area Network and VAN: Vehicle Area Network.

This is a very crude way of putting it, but these multiplexed networks are often split into several networks, organised into priorities, so that safety systems take priority over comfort systems for example. On the older vehicles they used a VAN protocol for comfort systems like the audio system which is of lower priority. So in this case your vehicle uses a VAN protocol for the audio system and a CAN network protocol for other parts of the vehicle's electrical systems. This means that certain hardware has to be compatible and have the correct CAN or VAN decoder inside to be able to communicate with the rest of the systems.

CD multi-changers are a good example where there were often 2 types that could be fitted to a vehicle depending on the build date. Some CD Changers were VAN and some were CAN only and people couldn't understand why they weren't working. The same is for the Audio Head units and screens which also have their own EDUs inside.

As for the antenna issue, those look like FAKRA connectors, but again, it depends on the Head Unit fitted as to the type and number of aerials are fitted. Some are passive aerials and some are powered aerials. Your existing Head Unit wiring will very likely not work with the RD45 as it stands given that we now know you have a CAN VAN system with VAN likely to be used with your Head Unit.

Looking at your vehicle it does not even list any specific audio fitted - it just mentions "Radio Equipment" which in my experience means a basic Radio or just the pre-wiring for a radio.

Marc
PG307

Post by PG307 »

Thanks for the CAN VAN explanation.

The left power connector for 12V antenna power in the picture is not FAKRA (or at least not the FAKRA connector that are used in modern car antennas, they look like this https://www.rfsupplier.com/u_file/1611/ ... f9b872.jpg). My old antenna base had only this two connectors (so the radio must have been an RB3 (no GSM or GPS)). The OEM radio was missing when got the car, an aftermarket Sony was installed.

The goal was to either to retrofit the best OEM radio that was available back then or something more up to date (with GPS,DAB+...) using a new active Antenna and old+new wiring for DAB and GPS.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are a lot of different Fakra connector types and that one on the left certainly looks like one.

You would probably be better getting a whole new aftermarket solution. You'll need to consult any potential supplier regarding compatibility and required harnesses though.

Marc
PG307

Post by PG307 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 14 Aug 2023, 18:37 There are a lot of different Fakra connector types and that one on the left certainly looks like one.
Sorry the left one is the antenna connector the right one is the 12 V power connector.
PG307

Post by PG307 »

Looks like they are also VAN bus to CAN bus converters