09 C5 Exclusive - what audio options?

This unit is the RD4 or RD45 system, made by Continental.
Usually standard equipment unless another system is specified as an option. There are Single & Dual Tuner versions. RD45 features over the RD4: The RD45 has USB connectivity & integrated Bluetooth module supporting Phone & Audio Streaming.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

n0stra
My Cars: 09 Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive 2.0
01 Citroen C5 Estate 1.8
03 Civic Type-R

09 C5 Exclusive - what audio options?

Post by n0stra »

Just aquired a 09 Citroen c5 2.0 hdi exclusive estate with just the normal RD4 radio without the bluetooth streaming/control, dab and rear view camera i wish it had.

Since i know and understand, that these units are not just radios but also control parts of the car im curious as what upgrade options that might be available on my model.

What other original radios/screen could be made to work with necessary adjustments?

Here where i live there are no more FM radio, everything is DAB or internet radio. I at lraat need to be able to play music from Spotify and i would like to avoid external units transfering sound from FM radio transmitter.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 09 C5 Exclusive - what audio options?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very limited for factory fit systems as CarPlay was only available on the very last few production models offered on the C5 X7 in 2016 which had the SMEG system. However this system, where fitted, had different fascia controls as it was touchscreen which handled some of the features, So there was a different fascia, different switch modules and wiring, plus of course the Head Unit and screen which can be quite expensive to do.

No DAB either until the SMEG unit either. So if you want DAB, you'll likely have to fit an aftermarket one that connects to the audio head unit, or one that connects via an FM channel.
An RD45 head unit has integrated bluetooth but will require a later multi-function display as well as the head unit replaced and will likely need a separate microphone wiring in.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
n0stra
My Cars: 09 Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive 2.0
01 Citroen C5 Estate 1.8
03 Civic Type-R

Post by n0stra »

So in theory the SMEG unit could be transplanted but with with a lot of necessary parts?

Too bad about even the RD45 unit needing a replacement screen. Are there any change to functionality as compared to the RD4?

Being avle to control sound, stream through bluetooth and change track is the most important at first. I will have to see what options are out there and how much hassle they come with. Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

RD45 as said does have the bluetooth integrated, but the EMF-C screen requires a certain software level too.

The SMEG systems were also soon replaced with the later NAC / RCC touchscreens in use today, so a lot of expense to transplant, configure and code these (if you can get anyone to do as the dealers rarely will). The different centre console, fascia and switch controls also require doing. I only know of a couple of people who did this, but I don't have the specifics as the systems can be hit and miss as to whether the support CarPlay or not (required certain hardware & software versions and activation of features). Mirror Screen has also been abandoned now for Android phones in support of Android Auto - but again pretty hit and miss.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Upgrading the C5 X7 audio to something useful is a pain in the ass, so I’ve resigned myself to making do with the RD4.

I picked up one of these Bluetooth adapters from Amazon, which replaces the glovebox AUX input. I’ll let you know how it works once I find my soldering iron…I wish I’d paid a little more for the version with the quadlock passthrough :lol:
DD16BA18-238D-4429-A742-7D414F25056A.jpeg
ImageImage