ZX TD Volcane engine transplants

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

John Buckley

ZX TD Volcane engine transplants

Post by John Buckley »

Hi
My ZX TD Volcane engine needs to be replaced does anyone know what other engines will fit directly to this model, or what other models use the same engine?
Thanks
John
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi John, I have the engine from a Xantia td in my ZX td at the moment, just had to swap the turbo's over because the outlet is at a different angle on the ZX td, whats the reason for the engine swap.
Good luck
Dave
John Buckley

Post by John Buckley »

Dave
Thanks for your reply.
The reason for the engine swap is 120,000 miles and a broken timing belt with whatever damage that has caused. Toying with the idea of getting it reconditioned or finding a good second hand one.
Is the Xantia engine any better than the ZX?
Also was it a straight forward fit?
Regards
John
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

John sorry to hear about the broken belt, Xantia engine is the same except for the turbo, manifolds, and a couple of other things like alternator bracket and vaccum pump, but it's just a quick swap over before sticking it in, this was a 94 Xantia into a 93 ZX, later Citroen/Peugeot engines have a slightly more complicated fuel pump and ecu to manage them so it's important to source one that would match in this respect, there are other subtle changes like gone is the tdc sensor near the flywheel, replaced by a lift sensor on one of the injectors, I would have look at the damage before deciding to replace the lot, might not be to bad if you are lucky.
Best of luck
Dave