BX Brakes (Again)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Machra
My Cars:

BX Brakes (Again)

Post by Machra »

I have had 3 BXs and I have had a problem with the front brakes on them all. When I service the brakes, change disks, pads etc they always run very hot. The disks that is. I end up having to back off the handbrake cables a fair amount which in turn gives me rather poor braking. Why I am posting is that I have just bought a Xantia that needs new Disks, 65000 miles, and by the look of them they have been getting hot. Before I start with this car is there any tricks to the front brakes or am I doing something wrong.I always free up the pistons turning them in and out of the calipers and make sure everything is clean and free of rust including the anti squeal shims.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Not had the same problems as you with BX brakes - my old one did 170,000 miles with only one change of discs and my "new" one has just had new discs at 130,000 miles. However, my wife's Xantia had a change of discs at 65,000 miles and from other postings on this and other boards this is not unusual - unless others know differently!
PhilW
Phil
eaudevie
My Cars:

Post by eaudevie »

Since the removal of abestos from the brake linings, the replacement material makes the discs get hotter and hence wear out quicker. 65,000 miles I would have thought would be very good for a first time replacement.
John
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

My Xantia at 45000 is well into it's second set of front pads and the discs are showing a tell-tale ridge around the edges. I have the new discs ready in the garage to put on before next year's MOT.