LHM Hydroflush Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy
My Cars:

LHM Hydroflush Replacement

Post by Andy »

I have recently put Hydroflush in my Xantia and am due to replace it with new LHM.
I was under the impression that I only needed to empty the tank( after lowering the suspension), and empty the pipe connecting the tank to the pump. After reading some of the posts in this forum I think I may have to bleed the system from the brakes ETC.
I would be pleased if someone would put me straight on this as I am a little confused.
Whatever I need to do it will be worth it as the car is running smother even with the Hydroflush than it was b4.
Thanks
Andy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Andy - Yes - you should bleed the system on each wheel because the pipework to each wheel are dead ends. If you don't bleed, you are left with old fluid in the pipes irrespective of the new LHM in your tank. You should really have done some bleeding when you put in the hydraflush. You could do it now and bleed until you see hydraflush running out. A word of warning - you may find the bleed nipples reluctant to move and brute force could snap them. If so, try some gentle heat and a tap with a soft mallet. All the best!
Andy
My Cars:

Post by Andy »

Thnks John,
I have just started to bleed the brakes untill Hydroflush runs out, but it appears that it is all mixed in with the old LHM left in the brake pipes.
I now have the full gallon of Hydroflush in the system.
If I replace with new LHM when have done 1000 miles would that be enough. Or would you recomend that I start again with another Gallon of Hydroflush.
Also when replacing the new LHM do I empty the complete system of Hydroflush before putting the fresh LHM in?
Thanks
Andy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Andy - I would think that if you have bled each wheel so that hydraflush is in the pipes, leave it all for another few hundred miles, then empty the tank after lowering and releasing the pressure. Fill up with new LHM and then bleed until you see the new fluid coming out. All the best!
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

I think I might go with "cleaning" procedure very soon. My Xantia has 127k on clock. LHM was changed at 90k km (spring 2002). Present LHM has dark green colour ( 3 - 4 dcl in coca cola bottle). If I choose to bleed the brakes, how many litres of Hydroflush do I need? Would it be also 4,75 lit.
Xantia 1.8i 1993, basic hydropneumatic suspension
Thanks to all for help!
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Anyone with negative experience with hydroflush so far?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The usual amount (5L) found in the retail cans should do nicely.
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Thanks Anders!
I assumed that bleeding the brakes on all 4 wheels normaly would take additional 2 -3 dcl of hydroflush.