Xantia front end "hum"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dennys
My Cars:

Xantia front end "hum"

Post by dennys »

My Xantia T/D Estate has developed a "hum" (I dont mean smell!!) at the front end-cant tell which side but it increases with speed and is there in neutral but is worse when I let the speed drop to 38mph in 5th. and then accelerate slowly.It's ever so slightly quieter on left hand bends.
Anyone got any ideas?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sounds like a wheel bearing on it's way out, if it get's quieter going round left hand bends does it get louder going round right handers, if so it would suggest the left hand bearing is in trouble, the only positive way to tell is if you can feel play in it, they can get well noisy before any play is evident though. would'nt think it was a gearbox fault as the noise is there in neutral.
Dave
dennys
My Cars:

Post by dennys »

Thanks Dave - I've now had it confirmed by Citroen that it is a wheel bearing even though there was no play in the wheel but it did get quieter on rt. hand bends and noisier on Lh. So thanks v. much for the help
Jim Colla
My Cars:

Post by Jim Colla »

Change both. I had exactly this on my XM. Quieter on left hand bends. I too thought must be left hand one. Wrong. It was the right hand one! They are fun to change though but it can be done.